In 2007, in one of the great upsets in college football history, Appalachian State went into the Big House at Michigan and beat the Wolverines 34-32, blocking a final field goal as time expired.
It was beyond thrilling. It was, or should have been, impossible.
App State has long since established itself as a potent football program, something that UNC perhaps overlooked when the Mountaineers nearly got them last weekend, losing a wild one 63-61.
This Saturday made up for that.
Appalachian went into College Station, Texas, and knocked off the #6 Texas A&M Aggies to provide a bookend for the stunner in Ann Arbor.
It’s another stunning win and it’s no accident: the Mountaineers played harder, smarter and better than JImbo Fisher’s Aggies did.
Speaking of Fisher, this has not gone over well with his fan base. Fisher left Florida State, muttering about playing in a better football conference. Maybe next time he should try the Sun Belt as ASU’s conference rival Marshall knocked off Notre Dame Saturday, 26-21.
Meanwhile, as Fisher ponders what went wrong - just about everything, really - back in Boone, a massive celebration took place. They’ll never forget this - nor should they.
Here’s a thought: is Appalachian now the premier football program in the state? It’s hard to argue otherwise, and it’s not just based on this. Year in and year out, ASU is good and, at times, very good indeed. No one else has matched App State’s level of consistent excellence.
- App State takes down No. 6 Texas A&M, 17-14
- Appalachian State pulls off 17-14 upset over No. 6 Texas A&M
- Jimbo Fisher roasted after Texas A&M’s historic upset loss to Appalachian State
- Jimbo Fisher should be embarrassed, as should anyone who bought into the Texas A&M hype
- ‘When Will It Click?’: Can Texas A&M Get Back On Track Following Loss To Appalachian State?
- Live from Kyle Field: Jimbo Fisher talks Appalachian State loss
- Aggies ‘Hot Seat’: Should Texas A&M Coach Jimbo Fisher Be On it After App State Upset?
- Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M get trolled relentlessly after being upset by App State
- Jimbo Fisher draws striking comparison to Kevin Sumlin after 50 games
- Jimbo Fisher reveals plan for Texas A&M after crushing loss
- A&M’s Fisher left with plenty to evaluate after loss to App. Sta
- Appalachian State Upsets Texas A&M - Sparklight
- Khan: Texas A&M’s advantages meant nothing vs. App State, and loss is on Jimbo Fisher
- No excuses for No. 6 Texas A&M’s inexcusable loss to App State, 17-14
- Jimbo Fisher Has Honest Admission Following Upset Loss To App State