For a while in the first half, it looked like Australia was just going to rip the US a new one. The Boomers were up 41-26 with 5:25 left in the second quarter.
But then things changed.
The US fought back and was one Jayson Tatum three from tying the game at the half 45-45. Still, that was a huge comeback and then the third quarter started.
By the time Jock Landale hit a layup with 6:03 left in the quarter, the US was up 54-47 and never looked back.
The US outscored Australia 29-10 in the third. Go back to when the Aussies had their 15 point lead, and the US put on a 48-14 stretch, mostly on the play of Kevin Durant and Jrue Holiday.
The Aussies matched the 23 the US put up in the 4th but since they were already down 19 on the back of that huge mid-game run, it was essentially a tie and the US won 97-78.
All in all, it must be a crushing loss for team and country. The Australian system has been highly competitive with the US approach lately and we’re sure there was huge anticipation back home, especially with the big first-half lead.
On the bright side, the Boomers still have a chance to medal against either France or Slovenia.
The US, on the other hand, will play the winner of that game for gold.
For all the guff that Gregg Popovich took, including some from us, he has gotten this team turned around. The US has won its last four games by 54, 35, 14 and 19.
We’re pretty sure that, given their druthers, they’d rather have another crack at the French.
- USA storm back to beat Australia in Olympic basketball semis
- Tokyo Olympics live updates: USA men’s basketball into gold medal game
- USA assert authority over Australia to reach Olympic basketball gold medal game
- Team USA reaches gold medal game with semifinal win over Australia in Olympics semifinals
- Olympic dream is OVER for Australia’s basketball team as favourites USA crush the Boomers in 20-point victory after the Aussies jumped out to a shock lead
- USA men’s basketball advances to gold medal game of Tokyo Olympics
- Team USA basketball vs. Australia score, Tokyo Olympics: Americans blitz Aussies to advance to gold medal game
- Olympics 2021 updates - US men’s hoops rallies to reach gold
- 2021 Olympics: U.S. men’s basketball into gold medal game
- USA Basketball blows past Australia to get to gold medal game
- The USA Erased A 15-Point Deficit To Crush Australia
- U.S. men’s basketball team rallies past Australia to advance to gold medal game