Well this is not good: 84 campers at the K Academy, Coach K’s summer fantasy camp, were exposed to the bacteria Legionella and some got fairly sick.
Legionella is the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ Disease, which can be quite serious. Fortunately, no one was left critically ill.
No doubt some people were concerned they had Covid but fortunately that wasn’t the case and everyone is expected to fully recover. ‘
And in another bit of good news it’s not contagious which is a bit plus since we’re probably all sick of hearing the word contagious about now.
- More than 80 people at Duke basketball camp exposed to bacteria causing Legionnaires’ disease
- 84 people exposed to Legionnaires’ disease bacteria
- Update on Possible Legionella Exposure at Duke Athletics Program - Duke University
- Bacteria blamed in outbreak at Duke basketball camp that caused dozens to get sick
- About Legionnaires Disease and Pontiac Fever | CDC
- Legionnaires Disease Cause and Spread | CDC
- Legionnaires’ disease - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic
- Legionnaires’ disease - Wikipedia