It’s not a surprise at this point that the US lost its Olympic opener to France but it is disappointing.
It’s also not surprising that Rudy Gobert controlled the paint and had 14 points and nine rebounds but it’s a big surprise that Evan Fournier scored 28 points.
Kevin Durant shot just 4-10 and fouled out, which pretty much constitutes a poor performance. Damian Lillard was just 3-10.
Surprisingly, Jrue Holiday, basically fresh off a trip from the US, led the way with 18 points.
The rest of the pool isn’t that good. Iran is up next and the US should be able to take out its frustrations on them. But still, counting exhibitions, unless we’re missing one, the team is 2-2 to date and clearly vulnerable.
Next play. On to Iran.
- France shocks US to end 25-game Olympic basketball win streak
- Photos: US basketball loses to France, 25-game Olympic win streak ends
- Team USA Stunned By France In Olympic Basketball
- USA falls to France in men’s Olympic basketball opener
- Basketball-U.S. men fall to France in first Olympics loss since 2004
- U.S. men’s long Olympic basketball win streak ends with loss in opener
- USA Basketball falls to France and Joel Embiid leads voices on Twitter expressing shock and disappointment
- USA lose first men’s Olympic basketball game since 2004