After brief comments from President Vincent Price, outgoing AD Kevin White and his soon-to-be-successor Nina King, Jon Scheyer took the stage Friday and formally introduced himself to the broader basketball world.
He made a few jokes, congratulated Mike and Mickie Krzyzewski on their 52nd wedding anniversary but otherwise got down to business.
He talked a little about what it meant to come to Duke and it was a lifetime decision.
He spoke about his eye injury and how Duke and Coach K supported him and got him immediately to a world-class physician to help him.
He also spoke about the Duke Brotherhood and his teammates, many of whom came to the press conference.
He spoke about the pride the players have in the program and how much everyone has put into it.
He also paid tribute to Chris Carrawell and Nolan Smith, his fellow assistants.
He also said that he didn’t expect it to be easy and that he didn’t expect to be given anything but that he would show up and do his best.
Clearly he has inculcated a tremendous amount and understands what he’s getting into. He seems excited yet balanced and realistic.
We’ll have more later.
- Duke introduces Jon Scheyer as next basketball coach
- Jon Scheyer praises Coach K in first words as next Duke coach
- Scheyer ready to step in as Duke coach
- Jon Scheyer introduced as Duke’s next basketball coach
- Scheyer ready to be ‘contemporary leader’ for Duke in the post ...
- Who is Jon Scheyer?
- Q&A with Jon Scheyer, Duke’s next head coach
- Jon Scheyer on future as Duke hoops coach: ‘I do not expect this to be easy”
- Jon Scheyer, Duke’s next basketball coach, accepts challenge