Although recruiting may not be done yet - there’s still a spot for Patrick Baldwin if he wants it, and it never surprises us when Duke finds a late guy for depth or to develop - but the roster for next season, as of today, has been released, with numbers and here they are.
- Joey Baker - 13 again for the rising senior.
- Wendell Moore - he’ll keep #0 as he steps into his junior year.
- Keenan Worthington - #45 for the rising junior
- Michael Savarino - he’ll be #30
- Jeremy Roach - he’s sticking with #3
- Mark Williams - the big sophomore will still be #15
And for the new guys....
- Theo John - the grad transfer from Marquette will wear #12 to honor his former coach, former Blue Devil Steve Wojciechowski, which was also Coach K’s number at Army
- Bates Jones - the grad transfer from Davidson will be #50, last worn by the remarkable Justin Robinson
- Paolo Banchero - the star freshman is taking #5, last worn by Jaemyn Brakefield and, not too long ago, RJ Barrett
- Jaylen Brakes - he’ll pick up DJ Steward’s #2
- AJ Griffin - Griffin will put on #21, last worn by the NBA bound Matthew Hurt
- Trevor Keels - he’s taking #1, worn last year by Jalen Johnson, the year before by Vernon Carey and the year before that by Zion Williamson.
Just as a matter of record, Duke has retired the following jerseys, nearly an entire team’s worth of numbers:
- #4, JJ Redick
- #10, Dick Groat
- #11, Bobby Hurley
- #22, Jason Williams
- #23, Shelden Williams
- #24, Johnny Dawkins
- #25, Art Heyman
- #31, Shane Battier
- #32, Christian Laettner
- #33, Grant Hill
- #35, Danny Ferry
- #43, Mike Gminski
- #44, Jeff Mullins