Two quick ACC notes worth passing on.
First, although it’s not official yet, Joe Giglio is reporting via Twitter that Manny Bates will be leaving State and, according to Giglio, may have been lured away.
While that’s certainly a hit for State as he’s an excellent shot blocker, the rest of his game is sort of rudimentary. We’re not sure how big of a loss that will turn out to e.
And up in Blacksburg, Mike Young did something very smart: he hired Mike Jones away from DeMatha High.
Jones has been there since succeeding his own legendary coach, Morgan Wooten, nearly 20 years ago.
He’ll give Virginia Tech a huge leg up in the DMV and all over Northern Virginia, which Young alluded to in his comments about the hiring, saying this: “It was certainly a consideration. We have to have a presence … in the District of Columbia, Baltimore and Northern Virginia, [and] the beach.”
“That can be complicated, the basketball world in that area. And he has great relationships with everyone up there. Everybody thinks a lot of Coach Jones.”
If everything works out, this could be a particularly brilliant hire.
- DeMatha basketball coach Mike Jones, after 511 wins, takes top assistant job at Virginia Tech
- Virginia Tech’s Mike Young makes ‘out of left field’ hire in DeMatha’s Mike Jones
- Hokies hire former DeMatha head coach, ODU player Mike Jones as associate men’s basketball head coach
- Virginia Tech hires DeMatha coach Mike Jones as Associate Head Coach
- Mike Jones hired as Virginia Tech’s Associate Head Coach
- DeMatha Catholic HS basketball coach Mike Jones leaving for coaching position at Virginia Tech
- Virginia Tech basketball: Is Mike Young on the verge of a huge hire?
- DeMatha Head Coach Mike Jones to Virginia Tech Staff Reports Grow
- Virginia Tech hires longtime DeMatha Catholic High School coach Mike Jones as associate head coach
- DeMatha Head Coach Mike Jones to Become Associate Head Coach at Virginia Tech