Here’s the bad news: Matthew Hurt had a bad game against BC with eight points and four fouls.
But here’s the good news: Duke won by 35 anyway, 86-51. DJ Steward, Mark Williams and Jordan Goldwire picked up the slack.
Steward finished with 17, Williams had 13 and shot 6-7, while Goldwire came off the bench and hit four out of six three point attempts.
That was really the story for Duke on offense - the Blue Devils hit 15-32 from behind the line to just 1-15 for BC.
There are plenty of things to pick out as potential problems - Hurt had four fouls, Williams only had one rebound which is kind of hard to believe, and Duke had 16 turnovers, with about 1⁄3 of those by Wendell Moore with five.
But the good news is that the Blue Devils showed plenty of fight after an awful loss in Chapel Hill on Saturday and get to play again on Wednesday.
And there is one other bit of good news: that fat margin let the Blue Devils put everyone in which means that no one should be overly worn Wednesday (although Moore took a hard fall that he’ll probably be feeling tomorrow).
One final comment. It would be easy to look at BC and think what a bunch of losers.
On the contrary. Those guys had as difficult a year as any team in the country. They weren’t overly talented in the first place and Covid pauses further gutted them. Then their coach got canned in-season.
They could have just given up. They’ve done their best though and played and tried hard in very difficult circumstances and they deserve respect because people who do that aren't losers. They’re nothing but winners.
Jim will be along presently with his take on this game. Given the very different procedures in the Greensboro Coliseum, it may take longer than it normally does.
- Duke men’s basketball blows out Boston College in ACC tournament opener
- Five observations from Duke men’s basketball’s first half against Boston College
- Duke shoots its way to easy ACC tournament win over Boston College
- Duke’s Coach K hopes to carry momentum into ACC tourney game against Louisville
- Photos: Duke defeats Boston College in first round of ACC Basketball Tournament
- Duke extends its stay at the ACC tournament, just not in Greensboro
- Duke takes important first step at ACC Tournament
- Wake Forest loses to Notre Dame on three-point shot at buzzer
- Duke to meet Louisville in second round after rout of Boston College
- Boston College closes season with blowout loss to Duke in ACC tournament
- The Crunch Zone
- Louisville vs. Duke History – The Crunch Zone
- Blue Devils Use Hot Shooting to Beat BC, 86-51
- BOX SCORE (PDF)
- POSTGAME NOTES (PDF)
- COACH K QUOTES (PDF)
- DUKE PLAYER QUOTES (PDF)
- OPPONENT QUOTES (PDF)
Player Of The Game vs. Boston College In The ACC Tournament
This poll is closed