In rare Friday night ACC Action, Miami survived BC 80-76 and Georgia Tech knocked off Wake Forest 63-75.
Isaiah Wong had the rare poor game with just nine points but unfortunately for BC, Kameron McGusty had a career night with 27.
Boston College has shown some real heart since Jim Christian was fired and that’s not a knock on the former coach, just praising his team’s heart. They’ve really been impressive lately.
Miami only had six scholarship players which is about where both teams have been a lot this season.
Like BC, Wake showed some heart, not letting Georgia Tech pull away. There’s no question at this point that the Yellow Jackets are a much better team so the fact that the Deacs basically kept up is a very positive sign.
Moses Wright was much less dominant than he was against Duke with 17 points and just four boards, but he didn’t have to be. And point guard Jose Alvarado, who has been so tough this year, has now had three straight average or less than average games in a row. That’s not a good thing for the Yellow Jackets right now.
The main message of Friday night?
BC, Wake and Miami have all had very poor seasons, finishing with 18 wins between them, all showed heart and courage under difficult circumstances.
That’s good news for all three and the ACC in general.
Conference play closes out on Saturday with Florida State at Notre Dame, Pitt visiting Clemson and Virginia off to Louisville.
Notre Dame upsetting Florida State would, at this point, be a huge upset. We just can't see it.
Pitt has shown some heart of its own after Xavier Johnson and Au’Diese Toney left the program, but Clemson is a smart and tough team. Moreover, it’s going to be smarting after losing to Syracuse.
Still, we’ll take Pitt. Might be a bad idea but Bob’s your uncle, we’re doing it anyway.
Virginia has tormented Louisville since the Cards joined the ACC. It’s almost as if Louisville is Clemson and the ‘Hoos are UNC (please don't tell them we said that).
Virginia Tech should be playing NC State but another Covid pause will see the Hokies sit this one out. That’s too bad because that would be a really fun game, not least of all because State has really gotten hot.
For the Hokies, it’s the worst possible time to have a pause. There’s an excellent chance it could break their momentum and doom their post-season chances.
Saturday’s ACC Action
- Florida State at Notre Dame || 12:00 || ESPN2
- Pitt at Clemson || 12:00 || ACCNX
- Virginia at Lousiville || 4:00 || ESPN2
- Duke at UNC || 6:00 || ESPN
Virginia Tech at NC State
- NC State basketball’s regular season is over after it couldn’t find another team to play
- Virginia Tech-N.C. State basketball game canceled
- NCAA dreams coming true as Georgia Tech takes care of Wake Forest
- Breaking good: Georgia Tech is relevant again
- Brooks, McGusty combine for 48 points as UM beats Boston College 80-76 on Senior Night
- NCAA tournament bracketology: NET rating offers clues to how committee will sort bubble teams
- 2021 ACC tournament bracket and schedule: What to know heading into final games this weekend
- Winners & losers: Georgia Tech