Duke legend Steve Wojciechowski was fired Friday after seven years at Marquette. There were several issues from Marquette’s point of view, with perhaps the most important being return on investment. Despite a wonderful tradition, Marquette’s financial margin of error is pretty thin and this past year really didn’t help since they couldn’t really sell tickets.
Then the school’s AD, Bill Scholl, cited the classic philosophical differences. Wojo was 128-95 at Marquette, which isn’t awful, but was just 0-2 in the NCAA and 4-6 in the Big East.
In the asterisk season, Marquette finished just 13-14. However, seven Big East teams also finished with 14 or less wins.
It was a bizarre year no matter how you look at it.
We’re sure he’ll land on his feet but it’s not a great night for Duke’s much-loved Wojo.
- Marquette fires men’s basketball coach Steve Wojciechowski after seven seasons
- Marquette fires coach Steve Wojciechowski after seven seasons leading Golden Eagles program
- The Case Against Steve Wojciechowski
- Marquette fires head coach Steve Wojciechowski after 7 seasons
- Marquette fires coach Steve Wojciechowski after 7 seasons
- Marquette University fires basketball coach Steve Wojciechowski
- Marquette fires men’s basketball coach Steve Wojciechowski
- BREAKING: Marquette Athletics parts ways with head coach Steve Wojciechowski
- Marquette Fires Coach Steve Wojciechowski After Seven Seasons