One of the great clutch moments in the history of March Madness came in 2010.
Northern Iowa entered the tournament as the #9 seed and had to beat UNLV to advance to the second round.
Done: the Panthers beat the Run-in’ (autocorrect did that but we kind of like it) Rebels 69-66 to set up a Saturday encounter with the Kansas Jayhawks.
The Panthers were very much in the game when guard Ali Farokhmanesh came downcourt with Northern Iowa up by one and just a tick under 37 seconds left on the clock. He found himself alone on the three point line and let fly, swishing it.
The shot put UNI up by four and when Kansas came down and committed an offensive foul, that was pretty much game, set and match.
- Ali Farokhmanesh Went Rogue & His Shot Broke KU’s Spirits
- Ali Farokhmanesh and family recreate his March Madness moment 10 years later
- Throwback Week: Ali Farokhmanesh and The Shot that made Northern Iowa a national name
- Where Is UNI’s March Madness Hero, Ali Farokhmanesh, Now?
- From NCAA Tournament to CSU Rams, Ali Farokhmanesh proves not all heroes wear capes