We don’t know a whole lot about Mike Elko yet but Duke’s next football coach seems impressive.
Until Monday the defensive coordinator for Jimbo Fischer at Texas A&M, Elko did a bang-up job with the Aggies defense over the last several years. He also spent time at Notre Dame and Wake Forest.
His challenges at Duke will include the administrative things head coaches have to do, finding an offensive coordinator, recruiting and dealing with Duke’s academics. He has some awareness of what it’s like at a school with demanding admissions, having coached at Notre Dame and Wake Forest, but Duke presents some different challenges.
Having said that, David Cutcliffe left the overall enterprise in much better shape than he found it and getting things back to a reasonably competitive level won’t be nearly as hard for Elko as it was for Cutcliffe.
We’ll learn more over the next few days. For now, let’s welcome Coach Elko and wish him the best as he takes over the Duke football program.
- Duke finalizing deal to hire big-time SEC assistant as next head coach, per report
- Sources - Duke hiring Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko as head football coach
- Texas A&M DC Mike Elko will be next Duke coach
- Duke names Mike Elko new head football coach
- Duke found a football coach who was part of the same kind of revival the Blue Devils need
- Duke hires Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko as next head coach
- Mike Elko to be hired as next Duke football head coach
- Mike Elko expected to be Duke’s head coach after four years as A&M’s DC