In ACC action, Louisville survived Detroit Mercy 73-67, Wake Forest thrashed NC A&T 87-63, BC fell to Utah 68-61, UNC came up short vs. Purdue 93-84, and Syracuse got the shocker of the day, falling to Colgate 100-85.
If it’s not clear, this is an embarrassing loss. The last time Colgate beat the ‘Cuse, Jim Boeheim was a senior in high school.
Colgate dominated the boards, which is really amazing, 44-34, and of course this was in the Dome. The Raiders also more than doubled up Syracuse on threes, 18-7.
The ACC has had several bad losses already, but this one is going to hurt in March.
UNC’s loss to Purdue wasn’t as bad, frankly, as we thought it might be. We thought there was a chance Purdue could just kill them.
It was a nine-point loss but UNC kept coming back. It was a fairly solid effort except for defense: Purdue hit 10-23 on threes and 34-61 overall.
Armando Bacot has nearly carried UNC early but Saturday it was Dawson Garcia with 26 on 10-13 from the floor. Bacot wasn’t much of a factor. Both fouled out though trying to guard Purdue’s massive front court.
Surprisingly, RJ Davis was the leading UNC rebounder with seven. Also, Leaky Black wasn’t available due to illness.
Louisville had a 13 point lead but couldn’t hold it and winless Detroit Mercy was in position to win with 1:39 left and the score tied. Noah Locke made a three with 1:17 and Jarrod West hit three free throws down the stretch. That’s closer than it really should have been.
Just as a contrast to UNC, Wake Forest is giving up 64 ppg. And the Deacs are winning by an average of 22.5 ppg. There’s no Purdue here but UNC’s other wins came against Loyola, Brown and Charleston. Right now, and it’s still early, but even so, Wake is looking like one of the ACC’s best stories.
BC lost to Utah 68-61. Utah is a traditional basketball school but they fired Larry Krystkowiak after last season and this is Craig Smith’s first season. Plus they haven’t played anyone.
Nonetheless, last year and the year before, BC would probably have gotten hammered in this game.
Utah had to earn it with free throws down the stretch. It’s early, as we’ve already pointed out, but like Wake Forest, BC is showing heart and that’s great to see in both cases.
On Sunday, UNC gets Tennessee, Virginia has Merrimack in, Clemson tangles with West Virginia, BC gets an unusual rematch with Rhode Island - they played just four days ago - Florida State plays Loyola Marymount, NC State welcomes Texas Southern to the PNC and Miami hosts the Florida A&M Rattlers.
- Tennessee vs. UNC. || 3:30 || ESPN
- Merrimack @ Virginia Tech || 4:00 || ACCNX
- Clemson vs. West Virginia || 5:00 || ESPN2
- Boston College vs. Rhode Island || 5:00 || Nope
- Loyola Marymount vs. Florida State || 5:30 || CBSSN
- Texas Southern @ NC State || 6:00 || ACCNX
- Florida A&M @ Miami || 8:00 || ACCN
- UNC finds encouraging fight, not enough firepower in loss to Purdue at Hall of Fame tourney
- UNC vs. Tennessee Preview
- The Tar Heels lost for the first time in four games under first-year head coach Hubert Davis.
- Dawson Garcia Exemplifies UNC Basketball’s New Brand of Offense
- No. 18 UNC Falls to No. 6 Purdue, 93-84
- Despite loss, improved guard play helps men’s basketball hang close against No. 6 Purdue
- Hoops Central: #17 Tennessee vs. #18 North Carolina
- Saturday’s world of college basketball: No. 6 Purdue overcomes No. 18 UNC
- No. 18 UNC men’s basketball displays toughness, but comes up short against No. 6 Purdue
- Wake Forest shoots its way past N.C. A&T
- Wake Forest makes 16 3-pointers, beats North Carolina A&T
- PHOTOS: Wake Forest tops NC A&T, 87-63 | Basketball | journalnow.com
- NC A&T Wake Forest basketball | | journalnow.com
- NC A&T Wake Forest basketball | | journalnow.com.
- Wake Forest Vs NC A&T: College Basketball Betting Odds & Trends | 11/20/2021
- Torrid‐shooting Colgate trounces Syracuse
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 85, Colgate 100
- Syracuse’s rebounding issues resurface in loss to Colgate
- Colgate Postgame: Joe Girard
- Colgate Postgame: Buddy Boeheim
- College basketball: Syracuse suffers first loss to Colgate in 54 games, 59 years
- Colgate Shocks Syracuse 100-85
- Colgate celebrates win over Syracuse with water bottle showers and pure, absolute joy
- Everything Mike Pegues had to say following Louisville’s win over Detroit Mercy
- Watch: Pegues, Davis, Williams following Louisville’s win over Detroit Mercy
- Highlights, Photos and Notes: Louisville 73, Detroit Mercy 67
- Saturday’s state basketball: Locke’s 3-pointer helps Louisville survive Detroit Mercy
- Louisville ‘needs to get better’ after edging by Detroit Mercy
- What to know from Louisville’s late-game win in nail biter vs. Detroit Mercy
- Louisville Holds Off Detroit Mercy
- The Wilton Bulletin
- Utah holds off Boston College late, wins 68-61
- BC vs Utah: Game Recap
- Sunshine Slam: Boston College vs Utah Game Recap
- FINAL SCORE: Utah 68, Boston College Men’s Basketball 61
- Eagles Use Second-Half Surge for Bounce-Back Victory
- Boston College vs. Utah: How to watch NCAAB online, TV channel, live stream info, game time