You kind of have to hand it to the Ivy League. They didn’t play at all last season due to Covid and plenty of guys bailed.
They've done pretty well so far.
Brown really took it to UNC before falling, Dartmouth took out Georgetown, Princeton beat South Carolina, Harvard narrowly lost to Rick Pitino’s Iona and on Saturday, Dartmouth very nearly beat NC State in Raleigh.
To be fair, State was without Manny Bates. The big man is out for the year after suffering a season-ending injury in his first minute of play. Dereon Seabron hit a pair of free throws to give the Pack a 77-74 lead with two seconds left.
State gets Central Connecticut State, a game you’d think they win before getting a real test from Oklahoma State. We’ll get a much better idea of how they adjust to not having Bates.
Johnny Dawkins took his UCF team up to - uh, down to Miami to take on the ‘Canes and pulled off a mild upset, 95-89. Is this going to be a trend? Miami missed 11 of its first 12 three point attempts and finished 6-26.
On the bright side, Isaiah Wong had 20 and Sam Waardenburg, who missed last year with an injury, had 16 on 5-7.
Miami got hammered on the boards though, 43-23.
Meanwhile, up in South Bend, Notre Dame opened with Cal State Northridge, 68-52. Hometown freshman Blake Wesley didn’t start but did hit 7-10 from the floor for 21 points.
Paul Atkinson - one of those Ivy League refugees we mentioned - had 16 points and six boards in his first outing with the Irish.
Dane Goodwin hit 6-8 for his three point attempts for 18 points.
Three games on Sunday. The big one is Florida State at Florida - that’s usually pretty good. The others are interesting though.
Syracuse should beat Drexel but let’s see how the Boeheim Bros do in Game 2. And we’re intrigued by what BC has accomplished so far. Two games isn’t much to judge on but from the cheap seats it sure looks like Earl Grant is putting a culture in place. That’s exciting.
Sunday’s ACC Action
- Florida State @ Florida || 1:00 || ESPN
- Fairfield @ Boston College || 4:00 || ACCNX/ESPN+
- Drexel @ Syracuse || 5:00 || ESPN2
- Syracuse Basketball: 44 reasons why the Orange will win the ACC crown
- Kevin Keatts: “It’s Been A Rough Week For Us”
- Watch: Colgate vs. NC State Men’s Basketball Highlights (2021-22)
- Colgate vs. NC State Men’s Basketball Highlights (2021-22)
- Keatts: We always talk about winning the four minute stretches, and our guys found a way to win the four-minute stretch
- Seabron: I know if I got fouled I had the confidence to knock down free throws
- NCSU redshirt sophomore Dereon Seabron had a second consecutive double-double with 21 points, 10 boards in a 77-74 win over Colgate.
- Casey Morsell and Dereon Seabron came up big down the stretch in NC State’s win over Colgate on Saturday.
- Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball can’t fully rally from 17 down, loses to UCF
- Darin Green Jr. scored 23 points with five 3-pointers, C.J. Walker had 14 points and 11 rebounds, and UCF beat Miami 95-89 on Saturday.
- UCF Knights 95, Miami Hurricanes 89: Three Things We Learned
- UCF Beats Miami 95-89 to improved to 2-0.
- Miami Hurricanes lose 95-89 to UCF despite 48 combined points from McGusty, Wong.
- Watch: Central Florida vs. Miami Men’s Basketball Highlight (2021-22)
- Miami basketball falls to UCF after trailing nearly entire game
- Kameron McGusty scores 28 but Hurricanes fall to UCF 95-89
- Noie: What happened in Notre Dame men’s basketball opener against CSUN? Here
- Notre Dame basketball: 3 takeaways from the win against CS Northridge
- BlueAndGold - Notre Dame men’s hoops defeats Cal State Northridge 68-53 in season opener
- Freshman Blake Wesley scored 21 points in the Notre Dame Fighting Irish’s 68-53 win over Cal State Northridge.
- Highlights vs. CSUN - Official Athletics Website
- Wesley, Goodwin propel Notre Dame past CS Northridge 68-52
- Mike Brey Postgame Press Conference – CSUN – Notre Dame Fighting Irish – Official Athletics Website