It’s striking how many former Duke players have made basketball a career after their playing days have ended. Quin Snyder is coaching, Chip Engelland is a shooting coach (and JJ Redick should be), while Danny Ferry, Elton Brand, Trajan Langdon either were or are league execs. Shane Battier is respected enough to do whatever he might want to do.
And then there’s his old roommate, Mike Dunleavy.
After his playing days ended, Dunleavy did some scouting and then started to work his way up with the Warriors. Until recently he was an Assistant General Manager but he’s not anymore.
Now he’s Vice President of Basketball Operations. He’s got a keen mind for the game and a lifetime of experiences that most people could only dream of, having been a ballboy for the Lakers where Magic Johnson said that he was destined for the league.
He surely meant as a player but it should come as no surprise that Dunleavy is about one move away from being somebody’s GM. It won’t be long now.
- Warriors promote Dunleavy to VP of Basketball Operations
- Warriors promote former NBA sharpshooter as team’s vice president
- Warriors Notes: Green, Centers, Front Office, Mulder
- Warriors promote Dunleavy to VP of basketball operations
- Warriors Announce Basketball Operations Promotions
- Warriors Promote Mike Dunleavy Jr. To VP Of Basketball Operations