With Kevin White due to step down this summer, Duke is in the hunt for a new AD. We had listed several potential candidates including Central Florida’s Danny White, Kevin’s son.
Well you can take him off the list.
White has been hired at Tennessee.
If you haven’t been following, Tennessee is having a major football scandal. Dan Patrick reported that the program is giving cash out in McDonald’s bags. The coach, Jeremy Pruitt, was fired and, coincidentally or not, AD Philip Fulmer is retiring.
You may remember that Fulmer took over as AD after the botched hiring of Greg Schiano, the prospect of which sparked a nasty fan rebellion. Fulmer replaced AD John Currie, who is now at Wake Forest by the way and looks to have made a great hire in basketball coach Steve Forbes.
White did a remarkable job at UCF, helping to make football into a powerhouse, raising phenomenal amounts of money and hiring Johnny Dawkins who is doing very well.
He’ll do well wherever he goes. It’s too bad Duke is off the list.
By the way in case you missed it, there’s another major opening in college sports as PAC-12 autocrat commissioner Larry Scott has been forced out. We’ve followed him from a distance and words like arrogant get tossed around a lot. It doesn't sound like he’s going to be missed. The ACC already has a commissioner which is good because the PAC-12 needs to make a home-run hire here to repair the damage that Scott has done.
- Tracing Danny White’s path to Tennessee athletic director
- Tennessee football: Five things Danny White must avoid
- Tennessee releases contract details for Danny White
- Contract details emerge for new Tennessee AD Danny White
- Danny White leaving UCF is more devastating than Scott Frost
- Details on Tennessee’s Danny White’s contract
- Tennessee moves quickly, hires UCF’s Danny White as new AD
- UCF’s Danny White hired as Tennessee’s new Athletic Director