Three ACC games actually got played Saturday, not counting Duke-Wake Forest: NC State fell to Miami at home, Virginia took out BC on the road and while Syracuse-Georgetown isn’t exactly an ACC game, Syracuse is an ACC member so Bob’s your uncle.
Syracuse won the old Big East rivalry so there’s only one thing to say: ACC! ACC! ACC!
In a weird sort of homage to the old Big East, Marek Dolezaj lost a tooth. After the game, Boeheim joked that in the old days, it might have been intentional.
Syracuse won, 74-69, behind a strong game from the coach’s kid, Buddy, who finished with 21. Quincy Guerrier didn’t shoot well but did grab nine boards, four of them offensive. Joe Girard had 18.
It’s obviously a weird, disjointed season, but Syracuse is still 7-2 even with their own disruptions. And all in all, that’s not bad.
Virginia has had some rocky moments too but with the win over BC, the Cavaliers are also 7-2.
The Cavs have lost to Gonzaga - understandable - and San Francisco - inexplicable. Otherwise, though, even with a subpar defense, Virginia keeps winning.
BC hung with them into the second half before Virginia started to put some distance between themselves and the Eagles.
UVA didn’t have Casey Morsell, Kadin Shedick, presumably due to Covid-19 protocols, and Kody Stattman is out with an apparent cardiac issue.
BC was missing players too - Makai Ashton-Langford was out with a knee issue and Steffon Mitchell has a calf issue. And even though he’s playing, we learned Saturday that Wynston Tabb is still not 100 percent. Remember he basically missed two years with a knee problem. So it was another credible, if frustrating effort by the Eagles.
Miami, much like BC, has been close on several occasions but came up just short. Both Clemson and UNC gutted them on last-second shots
Didn’t happen in Raleigh. Promising sophomore Isaiah Wong racked up 24 points and freshman Earl Timberlake put up six points in the last 1:08 to make sure of it.
After the game, the party line from State was that “we didn't have it.” Well maybe, but maybe Miami just wanted it more.
Only one game on Sunday but it could be fun as Notre Dame visits Virginia Tech. They might have to change the nets at halftime on that one.
Sunday’s ACC Action
Notre Dame at Virginia Tech || 6:00 || ACCN
- Kevin Keatts on NC State’s loss to Miami: ‘We found a way to lose’
- NC State starts slow, can’t finish in loss to Miami basketball
- NC State’s Keatts, Funderburk on loss to Miami
- Late surge by Miami is trouble for N.C. State
- Jim Larranaga tops John Wooden with 665 career wins as UM beats N.C. State 64-59 on road
- No. 22 UVA men’s basketball wins 61-49 at BC
- Huff dominates as Virginia goes to 3-0 in the ACC at Boston College
- Notre Dame basketball: Nate Laszewski having consistent season
- Jay Huff sparks Virginia to win at Boston College
- NC State vs. Miami basketball analysis: Kevin Keatts responds
- Syracuse Basketball: Not a surprise if Quincy Guerrier in NBA next season
- NC State-Miami basketball: Wolfpack starts slow in first half