Things in college football seem to be rapidly coming to a head. All of this is happening at the same time: the Corona-19 pandemic, a sudden movement by players to organize, the Big Ten is expected to announce a decision to postpone play until spring and the PAC-12 is expected to announce a decision Tuesday also. The SEC and ACC apparently are not as keen on postponement or cancellation while the Big 12 is somewhat fence sitting.
All of this puts the coaches, particularly in the Big Ten, in conflict with their university presidents and the players, in some places, in conflict with both.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump tweeted his desire for a football season, but the university presidents, not unreasonably given liability laws, are worried about legal issues and, at least we hope, the long-term health of the players.
All of this is likely to come into sharp focus in the next day or so so keep an eye on the news. It’s going to be a wild ride and leaving the universities, coaches and players out of it for now, what will the fans have to say if football isn't happening?
Things should get very interesting in the next couple of days. Very interesting indeed.
- ACC ‘absolutely’ plans on football in 2020
- REPORT: ACC Still Intends to Play Football in the Fall
- Report: ACC Intends to Play Football This Fall
- Niyo: Coaches, players look for a Hail Mary to save fall college football
- Vital questions as Big Ten heads toward postponing football season
- Big Ten will postpone football season until spring; coaches plead to play
- Trump joins coaches in push to save college football season
- ‘We will not cower from it’: Jim Harbaugh uses data to support claim that football should be played
- Tigers’ Buck Farmer heads to IL with strained groin; Beau Burrows called up
- Big Ten, Pac-12 expected to vote Tuesday on whether to ...
- Reports: Big Ten to cancel fall football season
- Will there be college football this fall? A conference-by ...
- No Big Ten Football? - FOX8
- ESPN: Big Ten presidents set to discuss Big Ten football fate
- Source — Big Ten presidents expected to meet Tuesday
- Big Ten considering canceling football season
- Reported Big Ten football cancellation deals economic blow to Badger reliant businesses
- Reports: Big Ten football season canceled
- Big Ten football season on the brink