Notre Dame has been a different sort of expansion team for the ACC. In some ways they’ve adapted a lot better than the other former Big East teams that came along after the big push to expand came along.
And it’s Mike Bre. He learned a lot from Mike Krzyzewski when he was at Duke but he’s clearly his own man and we like how he runs his program. He’s a very decent guy who cares about his players and who recruits good guys. So there’s a lot to like.
That said, we have a couple of guys who preceded him at Notre Dame.
Here are our favorite Notre Dame players.
- David Rivers. He was a really smart, capable point guard who had a great career at Notre Dame. We admired him. Plus he went to St. Anthony’s. He’s an assistant coach now at Kennesaw State.
- Bonzie Colson. He was really something else - a 6-5 guy who could go inside on just about anyone. One of our favorite ACC players in the last 15 years.
- Adrian Dantley. He was unbelievable in college and was an outstanding pro too.
- John Mooney. We watched him develop from a nobody into a superbly reliable guy who got you a double-double every night. He really turned into a superb player and did so despite having average talent. The definition of a self-made man.
- Bill Laimbeer. Psych! Moving right along....
- Jerian Grant. He failed significantly at Notre Dame, was suspended for a year then came back in a big way. It was a nice redemption story.