So it’s official: Steve Forbes has been hired by Wake Forest and he had a highly unique introduction.
No presser, no cheerleaders, in fact, no one present at all except for his new boss, John Currie, who, like Forbes is wearing a mask. He walks in, asks Forbes two questions, then tosses him a whistle and introduces him as the new Wake Forest coach.
Then Forbes rips his mask off and exults.
All of which is fine and makes sense in a weird pandemic sort of way. But we have one question ourselves: what the hell kind of mask is he wearing? Does the man have no fashion sense at all? Can’t he afford a decent mask? Is this how they do it in Johnson City?
Jokes aside, it’s a pretty cool intro, all things considered, and Wake Forest fans, as far as we can tell anyway, certainly seem pumped up. Challenges lie ahead, but the vibes are good.
Bad vibes! Both Ismael Massoud and Ody Oguama have entered the transfer protocol. And now Olivier Sarr too. That puts Wake Forest down to two returning scholarship players - Isaiah Mucius and Tariq Ingraham - two transfers - Ian DuBose and Isaiah Wilkins and we think Wilkins has to sit out a year unless the proposed rule change goes through and is applied to next season. As of right now, Wake has two freshman signed who are still coming, Marcus Watson and Quadry Adams. Look for Forbes to hit the secondary market as hard as he can and maybe to persuade some of the transferees to reconsider.
We’ll say this: even if he ends up with a crap roster next year, we’ll bet you they play harder and with more focus than Wake has shown in a long time.
In other news, apparently NC State stuff is still happening: after good-but-not great point guard Jalen Lecque skipped college last year to apply for the draft, now forward Josh Hall is making the same mistake.
If Lecque were Magic Johnson and Hall Kevin Durant, well that would be different. Neither is though and neither is capable of stepping into the NBA at 19. Hall has better odds but he’s got a ways to go.
That said, it’s his decision and he’s entitled to make it even if it turns out to be a mistake.
On the plus side, Devon Daniels has decided to withdraw from the NBA Draft. He was not a strong candidate to get drafted and unless a particular team told him they saw something special in him, he was just going to spend a few years bouncing down to his natural level. DJ Funderburk has slightly better odds but not much. He’d be wise to come back too.
- Steve Forbes brings passion, energy, humor and some grounding to Wake Forest
- Two players remain in Wake Forest’s basketball recruiting class
- Steve Forbes knows task at hand entering ACC for first time
- Hiring Steve Forbes won’t bring back Wake Forest star basketball recruit Jaylon Gibson
- Forbes tasked with reviving Wake Forest basketball
- Rebuilding the Wake Forest might not seem so daunting for Steve Forbes after his career restoration
- New Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes’ bumpy ride to get to Tobacco Road makes his journey ‘a dream come true’
- Fans, those close to ETSU athletics react to Forbes announcement
- Wake Forest rebuild might not seem so daunting to Steve Forbes after his career restoration
- Basketball: Josh Hall hires agent, staying in NBA Draft
- NC State signee Josh Hall to sign with agent, remain in draft