In Saturday’s ACC action, Pitt visits NC State, FSU goes to Clemson, UNC hits Syracuse, Notre Dame stops by Wake Forest and Miami cruises up to Georgia Tech.
Saturday’s ACC Action
- Pitt @ NC State || 12:00 || ACCN
- Florida State @ Clemson || 2:00 || ACCNX
- UNC @ Syracuse || 4:00 || ESPN
- Notre Dame @ Wake Forest || ACCNX
- Duke @ Virginia || 6:00 || ESPN
- Miami @ Georgia Tech || 8:00 || ACCN
Pitt has lost five straight and it could be six by the end of the day. State still has some NCAA life left and it can’t afford to lose this one. Could the Panthers pull things together in time?
It’s been a rough finish for Jeff Capel’s team but the program is building. Next year will be very different. Pitt won 14 last year and 15 so far this year. Theoretically they could still win 21 in the regular season but that’s highly unlikely. But three more? That’s a solid second season.
We’ve said many times don’t buy Clemson’s record. The Tigers are tough. They could pull this off.
However, FSU seems to be rounding into form. The team we’ve seen lately may have the best chance any Florida State team has had of making a seriously deep March run in years. Objectively, Florida State may be the best team in the league right now.
How’s Buddy? That’s the question for Syracuse. The coach’s son hurt his ankle last time out. He may or may not play; he may or may not be 100 percent. If he is, we’re taking Syracuse here although Garrison Brooks presents some major challenges for the Orange who haven’t defended size well this season.
The question for UNC? The weather. It may be tough to fly in to the Syracuse airport.
Incidentally, this is the last game for the Carrier Dome as we know it. Major renovations, including a new roof, will start soon. Maybe they can put in seats with some backs too. Bleachers must get old for the fans.
We just can’t see Wake Forest knocking off Notre Dame. They played great against Duke but that was atypical. Win or lose, the Danny Manning farewell tour is nearing the finish line.
Miami and Georgia Tech could be one of the best games of the day actually. Both teams are improving and capable of outstanding play. Both teams could still make the post-season (NIT, almost certainly not the NCAA barring a miracle run in Greensboro).
By the way, a major Tech donor has offered to sponsor a lawsuit against the NCAA if the Yellow Jackets are barred from the post-season.
- Why UNC fans should be optimistic when the Tar Heels face Syracuse
- Home openers and Big Four games prove revealing
- Losing on the court means losing at the turnstiles for Wake Forest’s basketball program
- With NCAA tournament a longshot, what are Georgia Tech’s NIT hopes?
- If appeal fails, major Georgia Tech donor supports lawsuit against NCAA
- Axe: Last call for the Carrier Dome as we know it
- Syracuse’s Class of 2020 will receive a piece of the Carrier Dome roof for graduation
- Ticket sales for Syracuse vs. North Carolina men’s basketball at the Carrier Dome approach 30,000
- 4 numbers to know for Syracuse basketball vs. North Carolina
- Orange Weekly: Bourama Sidibe’s surge; North Carolina preview (video)
- CNY weather scared Maryland women’s lacrosse, but what about the UNC basketball team?
- Syracuse’s Elijah Hughes: his breakout season, leadership and his LYBB tattoo
- Dome ticket sales for SU vs. UNC in men’s hoops in the Dome approach 30,000
- NCCU great, LeVelle Moton, reflects on being inducted into the CIAA Hall of Fame