In Tuesday’s ACC action, Georgia Tech knocked off Clemson 68-59 and UNC once again tormented NC State 85-79.
Wednesday’s ACC Action
- Virginia @ Virginia Tech || 7:00 || ESPN2
- Syracuse @ Pitt || 7:00 || ACCN
- Notre Dame @ Boston College || 9:00 || ACCN
- Wake Forest 113 Duke 101
- UNC 85 NC State 79
- Georgia Tech 68 Clemson 59
Nothing new there. Even in a historically bad year, with only 11 wins to date, almost 20 percent of UNC’s success is against NC State.
Remember Tuesday when we said that when Roy Williams wasn’t sure that Garrison Brooks wouldn't play that it meant that he surely would? It’s an old UNC scam somewhat akin to James Brown shaking off the cape and rushing back to the mic.
Brooks had 30 points and nine rebounds. He even hit 14 out of 16 free throws.
Cole Anthony had 19 but only took 12 shots which must have been a relief to the coaching staff as he frequently shoots UNC out of games.
It’s a hit for State as the Pack needs wins if they hope to make the tournament. There’s still time but not much.
Wow, it’s been 16 years since Georgia Tech had a winning record in the ACC? That’s terrible.
They’re close now at 8-9 after beating Clemson.
We’ve talked often about how much we admire Jose Alvarado. That kid is just tough as nails. He’s not an NBA player but he’s become a really good college point guard and leader.
Despite banging up his arm, Alvarado finished with 19 points. Backcourt mate Michael DeVoe had 14.
For all the talk about the ACC’s woes this season, both of these teams are unbelievably dangerous. We could see a scenario where Georgia Tech got suddenly hot and started shocking people.
And Clemson has pulled off some major upsets this year, none more impressive than Duke. Both are right around .500 - Clemson is 14-13 and Tech 14-14 - so they’d have to really thread a needle to make the tournament and we’re not sure if the Yellow Jackets are going to be able to play due to NCAA issues - but of all the weak teams that are going to Greensboro, no one is more likely to put together a stunning run than Tech.
Three games on Wednesday and all interesting in one way or another: Virginia and Virginia Tech tangle in Blacksburg and that’s a grudge match, not to mention a clash of two wildly different systems.
Pitt will welcome Syracuse to town and both teams are struggling. We have no feel for this one at all. Maybe Pitt in a tight game.
Finally Notre Dame visits BC. The Irish have heated up and we can’t see them letting up now.
- There’s nothing wrong with North Carolina that N.C. State can’t fix
- Brooks, N. Carolina beat N.C. State, snap 7-game skid
- Georgia Tech’s defense scratches out win over Clemson
- Jackets’ Wright ‘absolutely’ candidate for ACC’s most improved player
- Virginia, Virginia Tech trending in opposite directions heading into rematch
- By the numbers: Men’s basketball vs. UNC-Chapel Hill
- Clemson basketball falls to Georgia Tech, NCAA hopes fade
- N.C. State University Technician Online
- Men’s basketball struggles with Tar Heels again
- Scattershooting: Can Wahoos continue dominance over Hokies?
- Pitt to stifle Syracuse stars on senior night
- As he sits out this season, Pitt’s Ithiel Horton stands as source of optimism and curiosity
- Pitt’s Ryan Murphy is slumping. Can he can snap out of it against Syracuse?
- Pitt mailbag: Which players have exceeded or fallen below expectations this season?