Only one game on Monday night but it was a good one as Florida State stormed back in the second half to whip Louisville 82-67.
Tuesday’s ACC Action
- NC State @ UNC || 9:00 || ESPN
- Clemson @ Georgia Tech || 9:00 || ACCN
- Florida State 82 Louisville 67
Louisville was up 10 at the half then, with about 10:00 left in the second, Leonard Hamilton’s master plan took its toll on Louisville: basically he likes to use depth and athleticism to wear opponents down and it worked like a charm in this one.
Sometimes it’s nice to watch a game with no sound. You get a much better idea of what’s going on without all the chatter and what we saw was FSU just overwhelm Louisville. You could see the Cardinals were frustrated but they just didn’t have a way to stop the ‘Noles and they just kept coming, going on a 15-0 run.
It was more than that though: FSU outscored Louisville by 23 in the second half. It was a thorough spanking, ending with two emphatic dunks on fast breaks.
At least until Tuesday, assuming Duke beats Wake Forest, Florida State is in a rare spot: first place in February.
The ‘Noles are usually a tough out but rarely are they in first this late. Moreover, their schedule is not as bad as it could be: a trip to Clemson, then to Notre Dame before closing out at home against BC. They’ll be favored in all three.
On Tuesday, two interesting games as UNC plays the last team it beat, NC State, but this time in Chapel Hill and Clemson boogies down to Hotlanta to take on the 13-14 Yellow Jackets.
State was the last game UNC won but look past that. Before that, UNC beat Miami on January 25th. Then you have to go back to Yale on December 30th to find UNC’s last win prior to Miami.
The Pack should be motivated for this one. Aside from a bit of payback, State needs wins to impress the committee and, well, who easier than UNC this year? They’ll be back, likely next year, but for now, they’re still at the bottom of the ACC standings.
Roy Williams says he’s not certain if Garrison Brooks will play or not so book it. He’s playing. For decades, anytime UNC says a guy is questionable, he tends to play.
By the way, check out this Roy Williams quote: “I’m struggling a little bit right now, because basketball consumes me. It ruins me, it ruins me in a lot of ways. But we’re playing a game.”
Neither Clemson nor Georgia Tech have had great years but both have had enough big moments for everyone to understand they’re dangerous teams. Their prospects are limited to be sure. That doesn't mean they can’t have a hell of a game.
- Roy Williams uncertain of Garrison Brooks’ status for Tuesday’s game against NC State
- No. 6 Florida State’s steamrolls No. 11 Louisville
- FSU rallies past Louisville in basketball
- No. 6 FSU beats No. 11 Louisville, stays perfect at home
- Louisville basketball can’t stop Florida State’s offense in road loss
- Malik Williams ‘is fine,’ Chris Mack says, after twisting ankle in Florida State loss
- FSU basketball: Takeaways from ‘Noles destruction of Louisville
- Florida State basketball gets national props after blowout win over Louisville
- Clemson Basketball: The Path to the 2020 NCAA Tournament
- Forrest, No. 6 FSU rally past No. 11 Louisville for ACC lead
- ’I’m stubborn’: Roy Williams intent on finishing difficult season