We didn't think Jeff Capel and Pitt had much of a chance at Florida State and that turned out to be about right: FSU won 82-67.
Wednesday’s ACC Action
- Georgia Tech @ Wake Forest || 7:00 || ACCNX
- Boston College @ Virginia || 8:00 || ACCN
- Duke @ NC State || 9:00 || ESPN
- Miami @ Virginia Tech || 9:00 || ACCNX
Pitt started out well and led the first ten minutes or so before the ‘Noles caught up. Pitt had the lead once more at 29-28 with 3:07 left in the first half and that was about it. Florida State started to pull away and never really stopped.
Justin Champaigne was hit with two early fouls and never really recovered, hitting just 2-8 for Pitt. Also Florida State held guard Trey McGowens to three points, all from the foul line.
Pitt is certainly better than last year - post-season play remains a solid possibility although the NIT is more likely now than the NCAAs - but the the team is still young and erratic. This is still only Year Two of the Capel era though. We’ll see how the Panthers do with some improved front court play next year.
In bracketology news, Joe Lunardi now sees Duke as a two seed in the East behind San Diego State.
Lunardi sees Louisville as the #3 seed in the Midwest and Florida State as #2 in the West.
He sees Virginia in the West as well as the #11 seed and that’s it for the ACC.
Four games on tap Wednesday as Syracuse visits Louisville, Georgia Tech tangles with Wake Forest, BC takes its chances at Virginia and Miami visits Virginia Tech.
- Pitt falls to Florida State after Seminoles’ second-half surge
- How Florida State’s Leonard Hamilton, the ACC’s overlooked coaching mainstay, has stayed relevant
- University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News
- Pitt overpowered by FSU, sustains 3-game skid
- The Panthers (15-12 overall, 6-10 ACC) were overpowered by No. ... Now, even their standing for college basketball’s second-tier postseason is in question.
- Pitt loses third straight game, falling to Florida State, 82-67
- ACC Florida State Basketball | Pittsburgh vs. Florida State Men’s Basketball Highlights (2019-20)
- Wolfpack Tipoff: Game 26, Duke
- Williams leads No. 8 Florida State past Pittsburgh 82-67
- Dave Odom ready – even if words can’t capture feelings – for banner ceremony and celebration of 1995 team at Wake Forest