It’s 2020 and that means nothing much surprises, though there are many causes for dismay.
So it is as we learned Sunday that Jim Boeheim has been diagnosed with Covid-19.
Now 75, it’s obviously cause for concern, but Boeheim says he’s asymptomatic which is great news.
And of course Boeheim, like many coaches around the country, has excellent university doctors he can call on. If he had gotten sick, we’ve learned a lot about this virus since it turned up and increasingly it’s manageable.
Obviously that’s not universally true. Far too many people have died and continue to do so.
However, the CDC recently released some very encouraging numbers about survival rates and every age group under 70 has very high odds:
- 0-19: 99.997%
- 20-49: 99.98%
- 50-69: 99.5%
Boeheim’s group, 70+, is the most vulnerable at 94.6%.
There are still a lot of areas of concern obviously, and it’s small comfort for those who have lost loved ones, but in general this is good news. And in 2020, we’ll take optimism where we can find it.
- Jim Boeheim of Syracuse Orange tests positive for COVID-19
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim tests positive for COVID-19, team activity paused
- Jim Boeheim tests positive for COVID-19, men’s basketball pauses activities
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim tests positive for COVID-19
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim tests positive for coronavirus
- Syracuse Head Coach Jim Boeheim Tests Positive for COVID-19
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim tests positive for virus