Only one ACC game Sunday as Virginia hung on to beat Wake Forest in overtime, 65-63.
Monday’s ACC Action
- UNC @ NC State || 7:00 || ESPN
- Virginia 65 Wake Forest 63, OT
The tight score suggests a few things: 1) as we said at the beginning of the season, Virginia is now everyone’s target; 2) Virginia is definitely down, and 3) Wake Forest is still struggling but the Demon Deacons have on occasion shown some real heart this season, and no one has been able to say that much lately about Wake Forest.
That’s even more true since Wake was missing Chaundee Brown (ankle), Brandon Childress (foot injury and in a boot) and Sharone Wright, who went home to deal with a family situation. So yes they lost but they obviously played with heart and character so good for them.
How bad has Virginia’s offense been? So bad that Kihei Clark would say this about transfer Tomas Woldetensae, who hit seven three pointers: “Huge. Huge. If anybody can make shots, it’s big for us, so kudos to him.”
That’s both funny and sad, but as Virginia is learning, you can’t win on defense alone.
Only one game on Monday but it’s a doozy as UNC visits Raleigh for a date with ancient rival NC State.
UNC wins most of these and State’s dislike of UNC is as strong at Duke’s is. Obviously folks in Raleigh know UNC is highly vulnerable now and you can expect to see the Pack pumped up and ready to play some hard core defense.
Obviously having Manny Bates would help but we’re not sure if he’ll play or not since he’s been in the concussion protocol.
It may not be a great game but it will be intense and, if State manages to pull away, the atmosphere will be brilliant. You won’t want to miss this one.
- Wake Forest falls in overtime against Virginia for eighth-straight loss against Cavaliers
- UVa men’s basketball: Virginia survives at Wake Forest in overtime
- Gene Corrigan’s vision elevated U.Va., the ACC and all of college athletics
- Cole Anthony not expected back, but UNC hopes momentum is carried to NC State game
- After review, Georgia Tech’s Jose Alvarado awarded school steal record
- Tomas Woldetensae scores career-high 21 points as U.Va. holds off Wake Forest in overtime
- Football, basketball worlds collide with Brey’s post-game frustration
- Fighting Irish WireWatch: Mike Brey’s Postgame Rant Against ACC
- Perspective | Gene Corrigan, the ‘Commish,’ ran the ACC with a big personality and unquestioned authority