You might look at the 53-51 score of the State-Virginia game and think, okay, well, the Pack pulled one out, and you’d be right.
Tuesday’s ACC Action
- Wake Forest @ Clemson || 8:00 || ACCN
- Miami @ Duke || 9:00 || ESPN
- NC State 53 Virginia 51
What you wouldn’t get is just what an intense game it was.
State went up 42-31 13:46 into the second half then watched Virginia turn up the defensive pressure.
State didn’t score again until the 3:42 mark. Nothing new to ACC fans. That’s what Virginia does: a root canal followed by a garroting. It’s a miserable way to lose.
Only State didn’t cooperate this time.
And the Wolfpack had real adversity. They played without big man Manny Bates and Pat Andree and then lost DJ Funderburk to fouls.
Hey, it beats losing him for driving a booted car.
And despite Virginia’s 15 point run to get back into the game, State buckled, panicking briefly, then played smart, tough basketball down the stretch.
State had lost eight straight to the Cavs. And to be clear, right now Virginia is not the Virginia we have known for the last few years.
That’s true, but it may also be true of the Wolfpack. This team showed a whole lot of fight against Virginia and won in a very tough environment with a lot of adversity. State stumbled, pulled itself together and triumphed. Highly impressive.
It’s a quiet night but a bit of good news from Louisville: David Johnson is fine after his scary moment at Duke where it looked like he re-injured his shoulder.
Also in the new polls, Louisville is #5 and Florida State #6 in the Coaches Poll and flip spots in AP. Duke is #8 in both as well.
- NC State battles Virginia in ACC basketball action
- FSU basketball: Fans react to Noles being atop ACC Conference
- Syracuse Basketball: A blueprint for the Orange to go dancing in March
- Cavaliers fall 53-51 against NC State; Drop to 4-4 in ACC
- Virginia loses to N.C. State at home for the first time since 2005
- Axe: Is time back on Syracuse basketball’s side?
- Pitt’s Xavier Johnson was at his best in win over North Carolina
- Wolfpack ends long skid against Virginia, 53-51
- Five things to watch in Tuesday night’s Wake Forest-Clemson game