People can say the ACC is down this year and it probably is, but the games are still damned interesting. Take a look at Saturday’s action:
Louisville at Notre Dame, NC State at Virginia Tech, Syracuse at Virginia, Georgia Tech at BC and Clemson at UNC.
As noted yesterday, either Roy breaks Dean’s all-time wins record at UNC or Clemson breaks its epic Chapel Hill losing streak, currently at 0-59.
Something has to give.
The streak will probably inspire UNC but it could do the same for Clemson. Tough call. We’re not at all sure.
We feel like Louisville should beat Notre Dame but again, a tough call. To an extent people are on to the Cards and it’s clear they’re not a Top Five team, at least not right now. Mike Brey seems to have his groove back so we’ll take the Irish here and probably regret it later.
Incidentally, Louisville has reported that alleged death threat against Jordan Nwora to the authorities. As they should.
The last time NC State played Virginia Tech, Buzz Williams was still the coach and the game was an utter disaster. Virginia Tech won 47-24 and the halftime score was 20-14.
People have laughed about it ever since. State hit 9-24 from the floor which is dreadful.
Don’t expect this year to be like that.
First, both teams like to run. Second, Virginia Tech is a lethal three point shooting team. And third, the Hokies will likely have trouble defending State inside where the Pack has a major advantage.
Our inclination is to take Virginia Tech here but that’s just a hunch. We’ll be interested to see how these very different coaches go after each other.
No hunch in the Virginia game though. Syracuse was traumatized in the season opener, losing to UVA, scoring just 34 points. Maybe someone gets hot and starts raining threes from out past the Pack Line. Maybe not, too.
Given how well Georgia Tech has played lately, we have to go with them, especially if Derryck Thornton and Nik Popovic are still out or limited for BC.
It may be a down year for the conference but we can say this: with the exception of UNC, at one time or another, every team in the ACC has shown some serious heart, not least of all BC in upsetting UVA without their two best players.
Saturday’s ACC Action
- Louisville @ Notre Dame || 2:00 || ESPN
- NC State @ Virginia Tech || 2:00 || ACCNX
- Syracuse @ Virginia || 4:00 || ESPN
- Clemson @ UNC || 4:30 || ACCNX
- Wake Forest @ Duke || 8:00 || ACCN
- Can Roy Williams pass Dean Smith? Or will Clemson finally win at UNC?
- Ed Hardin: ACC enjoying a down year as national conversation borders on ridiculous
- Virginia men’s basketball team goes for season sweep against Syracuse
- After loss to BC, Virginia looks for more consistent energy
- Tony Bennett: ‘All things are positive’ with Braxton Key’s injured left wrist
- Braxton Key is showing how much Virginia needs him to be healthy
- Dick Vitale wants to keep going until he’s 100. He’s serious, baby.
- After near upset of Duke, new challenge awaits Georgia Tech
- Noie: Big moment beckons for Notre Dame men’s hoops when No. 13 Louisville visits
- An alleged death threat against U of L’s Jordan Nwora reported to authorities
- Commitment from Pitt’s leadership sold Jeff Capel on a contract extension
- Xavier Johnson was long seen as an underdog. Now, he’s adjusting to life as the face of a program