Not surprisingly, NC State beat Wake Forest in Raleigh Sunday night, 94-74.
Markell Johnson had 25 points, six rebounds and three assists to pace the Pack, a performance that coach Kevin Keatts called “special.”
Wake just couldn’t stop him. Johnson shot 9-13 overall and 6-9 from deep.
To an extent that’s understandable because he’s really good. It’s harder to understand how State, starting four guards, out-rebounded Wake Forest 47-37.
It’s just more of the same really. Wake is a proud program that right now is just not very good. With four regular season games left the Demon Deacons are 10-16.
None of those games are going to be easy. Wake gets Miami, Syracuse and Florida State at home and Duke in Cameron.
Depending on how much heart the team has left, it could be down to just five games and then the school will have to decide what to do about Danny Manning. If he’s retained the fan base may continue to drift away. And if he’s not, A.D. Ron Wellman will be under a microscope. He’s made two poor hires in a row. He can’t afford a third and neither can Wake Forest.
Only one Monday game as Notre Dame goes down to Florida State. FSU should win but Notre Dame has been playing better and the ‘Noles are coming off of a loss. Could we see an upset?
Seems unlikely but good coaching is always a factor and Mike Brey is a tremendous coach.
- NC State’s TJ Warren’s jersey is honored
- NC State’s Keatts: ‘Markell Johnson was special tonight’
- NC State and Wake Forest pass in night, headed different directions
- NC State gets a little payback on Wake Forest
- Inconsistent defense dooms Wake Forest in loss at NC State
- With win streak snapped, Florida State turns attention to Notre Dame
- Noie: Basketball the bond between Mike Brey, Buzz Williams
- Ron Cook: Two different college basketball settings, but a singular voice
- How have former Pitt basketball players fared at their new schools?
- Pitt’s six-day break between games is coming at an opportune time
- Jim Boeheim has seen plenty of sadness, but Saturday was different
- Buddy Boeheim thanks community for support after father’s accident
|MONDAY'S ACC ACTION|
|Notre Dame @ Florida State||7:00||ESPN|
|NC State 94 Wake Forest 74|