Being a bit older now, you’d think that Michigan’s Juwan Howard would know better than to let his players talk smack before a big game.
If nothing else, Michigan’s 1993 visit to Duke, when the Fab Five talked about how Duke “stole our championship” in the 1992 NCAA Finals (Duke won by 20) should have taught him that vital lesson because Duke beat them like a drum again.
Before they traveled to Louisville, Michigan’s David DeJulius said “We want it all. We want all the smoke.”
“We had heard they wanted some smoke yesterday, so they got some smoke. And they got smoked,” Jordan Nwora said after the game.
“None of us are going to talk about anything before the game, we’re just gonna settle it on the court, and that’s what we did. They said they wanted some smoke, so we went out there and gave it to them.”
Well they certainly did. Louisville was never in trouble in this game. The Michigan we saw in the Bahamas was not in evidence in this game.
Louisville held Michigan to 25.9 percent from the floor.
The one downside to this game is the score. The ACC already has one Virginia. That’s enough. Like NC State, Louisville, in its glory, is a highly exciting basketball program. 58-43 is fairly dull.
You know who else used to be exciting? Indiana.
No knock on Bob Knight but we’re going back on this and it’s more than just Knight. It’s what Everett Case brought to NC State and Vic Bubas to Duke. Hoosier basketball should be fast.
It wasn’t last year but it’s so much better this year.
Outrunning Florida State isn’t so easy. FSU is always deep and talented and Leonard Hamilton keeps the rotation moving.
Indiana handled it without too much trouble.
Danny Green’s little brother is there now and he lit FSU up like a Christmas tree scoring 30.
Turning to former Duke assistants, Jeff Capel’s Pitt team and Chris Collins’ Northwestern squad both won.
Pitt led Rutgers most of the way and more good news: Xavier Johnson, who struggled early, is really coming around. He had 20 points and eight assists in this one.
Pitt’s building a strong defensive identity and forced 20 turnovers from Rutgers.
The Northwestern-BC game started slowly but Northwestern eventually caught fire and BC never really was in this one.
The season is heading south quickly for the Eagles. They’ve lost four straight and five of the last six. If this keeps up you can probably start to warm up the moving van for Jim Christian.
The story at Syracuse is that the Orange can’t score. Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard are hitting .229 from the floor and .170 from deep. Toss in a very skinny front court and Syracuse doesn’t have many good options. Elijah Hughes, who has at times been effective, was held to 10 points and 3-13 from the floor.
As of right now, there’s just not a lot of options. It’s looking like a long season for the ‘Cuse.
As of now the Challenge is tied at 4-4 and the ACC has some tough situations on Wednesday. We expect Virginia to win but after that there are some toughies.
Georgia Tech needs Jose Alvarado but even if they get him back he won’t be 100 percent. Notre Dame will probably have a tough time winning at Maryland although one should never discount the possibility of the Terrapins imploding. Wake will not beat Penn State without a fight and that’s been a problem for Danny Manning’s program during his tenure. Same goes for NC State as the Pack hosts Wisconsin. The Badgers are no easy out. And while we picked UNC to beat Ohio State, we understand Cole Anthony and one player were limited in practice Tuesday. That could really complicate things for UNC as the Heels already have enough injury issues.
The ACC will have to steal a couple to win this year.
- Duke 87 Michigan State 75
- Iowa 68 Syracuse 54
- Northwestern 82 Boston College 64
- Louisville 58 Michigan 43
- Indiana 80 Florida State 64
- Louisville 58 Michigan 43
Wednesday’s ACC Action
- Virginia @ Purdue || 7:15 || ESPN2
- Nebraska @ Georgia Tech || 7:15 || ESPNU
- Notre Dame @ Maryland || ESPN || ESPN/ESPN3
- Wake Forest @ Penn State || 9:15 || ESPNU
- Wisconsin @ NC State || 9:15 || ESPN2
- Ohio State @ UNC || 9:30 || ESPN
- Michigan can’t get shooting touch together in loss to No. 1 Louisville
- Pitt extends win streak by handily taking down Rutgers
- Pitt basketball’s black and gold jerseys receive mixed reviews
- How Pitt’s Jeff Capel finds balance in coaching
- Xavier Johnson’s 20 points lead Pitt to 5th consecutive victory
- Vernon Carey, Tre Jones help Duke muscle past Michigan State
- Duke vs. Michigan State score, takeaways: Blue Devils easily handle Spartans, who lose for third time
- No. 1 and not done: Louisville beats No. 5 Michigan in first game at top of polls
- Jordan Nwora sends message to Michigan: ‘We had heard they wanted some smoke’
- Wildcats run past Eagles 82-64 in Big 10/ACC Challenge
- Rapid Reaction: Northwestern topples Boston College 82-64
- Four Things: Indiana 80, No. 17 Florida State 64
- Indiana picks up big win over No. 17 Florida State
- At the buzzer: Indiana 80, Florida State 64
- Indiana Basketball: Hoosiers upend No. 17 Florida State
- No. 19 Florida State basketball falls at Indiana
- IU answers questions with impressive win over No. 19 Florida State
- SU’s starting guards are struggling to score against Power 5 opponents
- SU’s Elijah Hughes held to season-low 10 points in loss to Iowa