You know the Bojangles thing where if UNC gets to 100 you get a free biscuit? Well, in Virginia’s case if the Cavs get to 100, you get Bojangle’s stock.
The ‘Hoos did get to 97 against winless Coppin State earlier this season and topped 100 Monday night vs. the Thundering Herd of Marshall.
We might be wrong about this but we think it’s the first time Virginia has topped 100 points since 2008-09 and that was against VMI when Digger Baucom was there and the Keydets were dedicated to running and gunning.
Kyle Guy finished with 30 points. There are games when that would be well more than 50% of Virginia’s point total.
You kind of imagine Tony Bennett sitting there quietly thinking what fresh hell is this? 100 points? A complete lack of discipline! And then...couldn’t I have had 21 of these against UMBC where I freakin’ needed them??
Oh wait, that was Ol’ Roy cross-channeling in. Never mind.
Anyway, it was a surprisingly potent output by Virginia which usually is so restrained offensively.
Even Jay Huff had 14 points off the bench. We know he’s capable, he just doesn’t get many chances.
It was a laugher for UVA from start to finish and a nice way to move into conference play. Just don’t expect it again any time soon.
In early December Duke beat Hartford in Cameron by 30. On the last day of December, Hartford beat BC in overtime 79-78.
A lot of it was self-inflicted. Coach Jim Christian said that Hartford thoroughly outplayed BC and that “It’s our team’s job to take ownership for it. This is basketball. They outplayed us. They probably got 30 loose balls that we didn’t get.”
Even so, Jordan Chatman, who is usually a really smart player, fouled Hartford’s Jason Dunne on a three pointer with 4.1 left. He hit all three which put the game into overtime.
Ky Bowman had a monster game for BC with a career high 44. He also grabbed 10 boards.
Nik Popovic, who was not very effective previously, has done well this year for BC and in this game he had 13 points and 10 rebounds. He’s averaging 13.8 ppg and seven rpg. He’s really made a nice advance in his game.
On Tuesday, Winthrop visits Florida State for a New Year’s dose of pain and Notre Dame goes to Virginia Tech. The Irish are having a tough season for various reasons while Virginia Tech is surging. You can’t rule the Irish out if for not other reason than Mike Bray is a superb coach, but an upset won't be easy.
- As Syracuse basketball starts ACC play, see which league teams are in the new Top 25
- Virginia Tech a good bet for success as ACC basketball play begins
- Tyus Battle, Trey McGowens named ACC Basketball Players of the Week
- Hype belongs to Duke, but U.Va., Hokies, others loom in ACC race
- Chris Mack: Louisville basketball has ‘to get better’ before ACC play
- Hokies look to improve upon early success in ACC opener against Notre Dame
- Virginia men’s basketball team routs Marshall as Tony Bennett earns 300th career win
- Hokies To Ring In New Year With Cover Against Notre Dame
- Tony Bennett Earns Win #300 as Cavaliers Crush Marshall 100-64
- Bowman’s Career-High 44 Points Not Enough as Eagles Fall to Hartford
- Hartford stuns Boston College men’s basketball in OT
- UVA basketball coach Tony Bennett on his 300th win, more from Marshall postgame
|TUESDAY'S ACC ACTION|
|Notre Dame @ Virginia Tech||1:00||ESPNU|
|Winthrop @ Florida State||2:00||ACCNE|
DBR Auctions|Blue Healer Auctions| Drop us a line