Here’s the latest DBR podcast where we get into a very lively debate about the commission on college basketball. While we agree that it missed the mark pretty badly, we are somewhat divided on how we would fix things instead. Plus, we reflect on Vic Bubas, talk about Avengers:Infinity War, and wax on about how fun it is to watch Ben Simmons and Lebron.
- 0:00 Byrd Campbell, our sponsors
- 0:25 Sam welcomes us and Donald tells a story about getting new subscribers to the pod.
- 3:20 Our main topic, the NCAA Commission on College Basketball releases their report and Sam gives us an overview of what it contains.
- 8:00 Jason gives us his take on the UNC scandal portion of the report.
- 9:40 Jason says there’s a fundamental question that the commission failed to address.
- 14:20 Donald gets us into a conversation about the NCAA’s relationship with the NBA draft.
- 20:15 Sam notes that the committee seems determined to preserve the amateur model, which is really about keeping money in the hands of the schools and out of the hands of the players.
- 26:10 Jason is angry about players not being able to make money off their image.
- 28:30 Sam makes a great point about the missed chance we had to really change the sport.
- 32:05 Jason plays a game… if you could chance one thing about college hoops, what would it be? Donald gets it started by saying that if you go to college, you must stay in college for 3 years.
- 37:30 Sam says that a full NBA minor league system will make college hoops less interesting and will hurt viewership.
- 40:10 The one thing about the sport that Sam would change is letting players make money off their image/likeness/jersey and the such.
- 42:05 Jason and Sam getting into a mini-fight over whether we watch college hoops for the quality of play or for the competition.
- 47:40 Jason talks about what he would change about the sport… you either say you are a pro or you are a student-athlete, and you can’t be both.
- 53:15 Donald closes the debate saying he wishes the fans were part of the solution instead of being the innocent bystanders.
- 55:05 Thanks again to Byrd Campbell, the Duke legal eagles!
- 55:45 Parting Shot - Sam says there is a survey all us Duke fans need to take. Do some Fuqua students a favor and fill it out.
- 57:45 Parting Shots – Jason gives a tribute to Vic Bubas.
- 1:03:45 Parting Shots – Jason talks about Avengers Infinity War
- 1:08:05 Parting Shots – Donald gets us into a NBA playoff discussion
- 1:15:20 Sam wraps it up and says goodbye.
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line