The Duke basketball banquet was held Thursday night to celebrate a fine season: Duke finished 29-8 and one rimmed-out shot from the Final Four.
As the only senior, Grayson Allen was naturally the star of the evening and gave the traditional senior speech.
He talked honestly about his ups-and-downs- they're pretty well-known so we’re not going to list them here - and how he found his way back to himself. He credited his faith for his ability to bounce back.
Jeff Capel made it back and was given a wooden chair, the same gift that Quin Snyder got when he left Duke for Missouri.
Coach K spoke and had warm words for his great predecessor, Vic Bubas and there was a moment of silence for the late Duke coach.
As for the awards, here they are:
- Swett-Baylin Award (Most Valuable Player): Marvin Bagley III
- Dr. Deryl Hart Award (Top Scholar-Athlete): Grayson Allen
- Pagliuca Family Coach’s Award (Commitment and Values): Marques Bolden and Javin DeLaurier
- Glenn E. “Ted” Mann Award (Contribution to Team Morale): Justin Robinson
- Iron Duke Award (Most Minutes Played): Grayson Allen
- Bill Krzyzewski Captains’ Award: Grayson Allen
- Best Field Goal Percentage: Marvin Bagley III
- Best Free Throw Percentage: Gary Trent, Jr.
- Best Rebound Average: Marvin Bagley III
- Most Assists Award: Trevon Duval
- Best Defensive Player: Wendell Carter, Jr.
- Gopal Varadhan Senior Manager Award: Michael Karamardian, Zach Marcus, Zack Spiera, Shane Turner
- Harry Rainey Spirit Award: Mali Shimojo
- Charles Hogan Memorial Band Award: Kelly Cochran
- Marvin Bagley III named Duke men’s basketball team MVP at awards banquet
- Blue Devils Hold Annual Banquet; Bagley Named MVP
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line