Here’s our latest DBR Podcast with guest Ed Armstrong, winner of the DBR bracket challenge, discussion about coaching changes, a discussion of one-and-done and more.
And a special congratulations to Sam, who has been accepted at Fuqua!
- 0:00 Thank you, Byrd Campbell
- 0:30 Donald welcomes us to ep #117 and Jason talks about playing beer pong with his son’s friends
- 4:00 Introducing our special guest, Ed Armstrong, winner of the DBR bracket challenge!
- 5:55 Jason wants to know how a Duke fan managed to pick Villanova and Kansas to beat Duke!
- 8:20 Ed wants to talk about Coach K and the guys who surround him – are we worried about having such an inexperienced coaching staff with Capel leaving?
- 9:30 Sam is not worried, but points out that replacing K will probably go awful because it always goes awful when you replace a legend.
- 12:10 Donald points out that our assistant coaches don’t have a learning curve. They know what is means to be a part of the Duke program.
- 14:55 Jason thinks that when K retires, a replacement will be named so quickly, we won’t have time to worry about it.
- 18:20 Ed says he really wanted Capel to stick around as he thinks the transition will go easier if it is someone who is on the Duke staff at that moment.
- 23:30 Ed brings up a second topic – he’s worried about the lack of upperclassmen going forward.
- 25:00 Donald says this is the era we are in… not much we can do about it.
- 27:00 Jason tries to link the issue of young players with Duke’s young assistant coaches (and Sam almost destroys Jason with facts).
- 29:30 Sam says he won’t be picking Duke to be a big winner in 2019, because he thinks inexperience will be a real problem for next year’s team.
- 30:50 Ed wants to know how we come up with topics and prepare for each podcast.
- 32:50 Ed asks about how we get interviews with famous Duke players and the such, which leads Jason to reveal his wish list of folks he’s trying to get for this off-season.
- 37:00 We say goodbye to Ed and congratulate him again on wining the DBR Bracket Challenge!
- 37:35 Thanks again to the best Duke legal eagles around, Byrd Campbell.
- 38:10 Time to talk about the Duke freshmen turning pro. We address some of the controversy about whether Duke properly used Duval and Trent this past season.
- 39:50 Jason doesn’t understand the criticism here and concludes there is some parental bias at play.
- 42:25 Sam notes the irony that Duke used to be criticized for guys sticking around and is now being criticized for guys leaving too soon… we just can’t win!
- 47:25 Donald says that if these kids want to just have the game built around them, they need to go elsewhere. If they want maximum exposure and a chance to be part of something truly special, they need to go to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and the other blue bloods.
- 49:55 Jason analyzes where the Duke freshmen were – in the NBA’s eyes – at the start of the season and where they are now.
- 53:40 Parting shots – Jason talks about “he’s 2 years away from being 2 years away.”
- 56:50 Parting shots – Donald raves about Quinn Cook earning a NBA contract for the World Champs!
- 59:45 Parting shots – Sam reveals where he will attend Business School… AT DUKE!!!
- 1:05:00 Good bye and Duke band
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line