As we’ve come to expect without Bonzie Colson, Notre Dame always shows up and fights, but it’s just hard to get over the hump with Colson out and everything else they’re up against.
UNC won 83-66 but Notre Dame was in it until the last few minutes when the Tar Heels blew it open.
John Mooney hit 6-6 from deep but leader Matt Farrell was just 3-18 and his backcourt mates TJ Gibbs and Rex Pflueger were just 1-9 and 1-7. The three guards, who have given all they have, were just 5-34 for 22 points and there’s no way to win in Chapel Hill with that kind of shooting.
On the bright side, Colson shot around before the game so his rehab must be going fairly well.
On the other side, Joel Berry, Kenny Williams and Cameron Johnson combined to shoot 19-32 for 48 points but Luke Maye hit just eight.
In Atlanta, as pretty much everyone understood after his injury Sunday, Jose Alvarado is done for the season. It’s been diagnosed as a fractured elbow. That’s a tough blow for the Yellow Jackets and there’s not really a backup.
On Tuesday two interesting games as BC visits Pitt and Virginia travels to sunny Miami to maybe raze some ‘Canes.
BC is not a great team but they’re certainly a dangerous one. At this point we fully expect them to win which is a big change from the last few years.
Miami could conceivably knock off Virginia but we’d feel better if a) they had Bruce Brown and b) Virginia hadn't just lost to Virginia Tech.
Despite that loss, the AP ranks Virginia as #1 so there’s that for Miami to gun for too.
- No. 1 men’s basketball takes on Miami
- Game Notes: #1 Virginia travels to Miami on Tuesday
- Go Figure: What Will it Take for BC to Make The Dance?
- Theo Pinson provides the juice in UNC’s 83-66 win over Notre Dame
- As UNC careers come to an end, Berry and Pinson helping Heels finish strong
- Notre Dame goes from sloppy to superb against Georgia Tech
- Heels wrap up challenging stretch with 4th straight win
- Ratcliffe: Cavaliers’ return to No. 1 a long time coming
- Guy rarely leaves the floor for Cavaliers
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line