After Friday’s games the ACC is still undefeated, not that any of the teams scheduled were likely to win.
UNC beat Elon, 116-67, Virginia Tech handled Gardner-Webb 87-59, Clemson took NCCU by 20, 71-51, Pitt knocked off VMI 94-55, Miami crushed Lehigh 83-62, and Georgia Tech prevailed over Lamar 88-69.
There was another major suspension - well, not suspension, he’s just being held out over eligibility concerns - but Miami benched Dewan uHernandez (aka Dewan Huell) following recent revelations from the FBI’s evidence for the Adidas case.
Didn’t matter in this one but it might later.
Chris Lykes had a career night as the pocket Jordan had a career high 22. Miami built a big lead, lost most of it, then rebuilt it and ran away.
Fairly typical for this early in a season.
Playing without Chris Clarke didn’t necessarily slow the Hokies down but 20 turnovers? For a perimeter oriented team? Oy.
Good thing it was Gardner-Webb.
Tech hit 10-25 from deep which is good but not great. But 20 turnovers? Against Gardner-Webb? That’s a bakery stat not a basketball stat.
Clemson’s defense is starting off well: the Tigers held NCCU to 32.7% for the game and just 22% from deep. Like the Hokies, the Eagles had 20 turnovers, but they were playing a superior team. Clemson is supposed to force turnovers.
VMI coach Dan Earl says that Pitt has “become more rounded” which is probably a nice thing for Jeff Capel to hear.
His Panthers won 94-55. Xavier Johnson had 14 points and 10 boards in his second collegiate game. Jared Wilson-Frame, who was suspended for the opener, had 20 to pace the Panthers.
Control what you can control: Pitt shot 15-18 from the line.
- Miami Hurricanes hold Dewan Hernandez out of opener over eligibility concern
- Here is how UNC freshman wing Nassir Little can continue to earn more playing time
- North Carolina dismantles Elon on the road behind big second half. Here is how it happened.
- Hurricanes open men’s basketball season with convincing win over Lehigh
- Don’t wait for the market to catch up to dominant ACC basketball
- Virginia Tech basketball is reaching for new heights. Will Chris Clarke’s suspension lower those hopes?
- Pitt basketball dominates VMI in 94-55 win
- Lykes leads Miami to season-opening win over Lehigh, 83-62
- Virginia Tech opens with win over Gardner-Webb
|Saturday's ACC Action|
|UMES @ NC State||12:00||ACCNE|
|NC A&T @ Wake Forest||2:00||ACCNE|
|Morehead State @ Syracuse||7:00||ACCNE|