We don't expect many people thought that Georgia Tech could beat Virginia and sure enough the Yellow Jackets fell at home, 64-48. Virginia held the Yellow Jackets to 19 first half points.
And if you were wondering, yes Josh Pastner got The Face. See the picture above.
That’s the look opponents get when they are helpless against Virginia.
Georgia Tech actually shot reasonably well but had 18 turnovers.
Like last year, Virginia shut down Ben Lammers. He shot just 1-5 and had five turnovers. On the bright side, he did have five blocks.
No Tech starter hit double figures and the only guy who did, Tadrick Jackson, had 14 on 7-15 shooting.
Tech’s loss pushes Duke, Clemson and UNC into a tie for third place. This weekend, Duke gets Pitt at home, Clemson sees Notre Dame in Littlejohn and UNC plays...Georgia Tech at home.
So the three-way tie could go on a bit longer.
In Raleigh, State and Wake tangled and the script was sadly typical for the Deacons: compete for most of the game and fail at the end.
Wake has developed a pattern of doing that. The Deacs have now lost four straight and now get, back to back, Virginia and Duke. Both are at home but that’s tough. Wake has lost four straight and is now 8-10.
For the Pack, Omer Yurtseven had another solid game with 22 points and eight rebounds. Three others scored in double figures.
State held Wake to 38.5% and the Demon Deacons did not score at all for the last 4:30. State by contrast finished on an 11-0 run.
State is now 13-6 and you’d have to say they have tournament hopes. The wins over Arizona, Duke and Clemson are big and they could add another win over a ranked opponent if they can beat Miami Sunday.
Despite Kevin Keatts’ complaints about sub-par talent, this is looking like a 20 win team.
After Miami comes Pitt on the road and then a trip to UNC. If State wins both you know that team is going to be hugely geeked up for Chapel Hill.
- Wolfpack shows toughness with late defensive stand to beat Wake Forest
- Street Knowledge with Chris Graham: Breaking down UVA’s win at Georgia Tech
- UVa men’s basketball: No. 2 Cavaliers clamp down on Georgia Tech
- Ratcliffe: Cavaliers’ lock-down defense travels well
- What we learned: Three takeaways from Virginia’s win over Georgia Tech
- Yurtseven leads NC State past Wake Forest
- Sammy Batten: NC State gets important win against Wake Forest
- UVA cruises past Georgia Tech 64-48
- No surprise this night, Georgia Tech loses ugly to Virginia
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line