In Tuesday’s ACC action, Notre Dame came back to beat BC by eight on the road, Pitt barely fell to Virginia Tech, although without Chris Clarke, who was injured in the Virginia game, and Wake Forest fell at Clemson, 95-83.
It could have been worse. Clemson was killing Wake earlier in the game.
Clemson shot nearly 60% in the first half and built a 20 point lead early in the second half.
Give Wake credit for coming back though - the Deacs cut the lead down to just six with 1:17 to go and as Kansas proved the other night, miracles can happen.
Just not in this game.
John Collins had 29 points and 10 rebounds and Bryant Crawford had 25. No one else had more than nine and four guys had five.
Both teams shot over 50% but not by much - Wake hit 50.8% and Clemson 50.9%.
Well you learn something new every day: we didn’t know Bonzi Colson’s dad had been a BC assistant.
He had 20 to help Notre Dame to the win, coming back from 13 down and ripping off a 20-3 run at one point.
Matt Farrell also had a BC connection: he had originally committed to play for Steve Donahue.
Like Notre Dame and Wake Forest, Virginia Tech fell way behind against Pitt, down 40-29 at the half.
And you might say beating Pitt this year is no big deal. Well, except for this: Pitt’s playing much better since nearly knocking off UNC. The Panthers have been very solid in the last five games, so it’s a better win than it might appear.
And also impressive: the Hokies did this without Chris Clarke, who was injured in the win over Virginia, and rather seriously unfortunately: Clarke has a torn ACL. That’s really too bad. He’s a wonderful college basketball player. He’s out for the rest of the season which really hits Virginia Tech hard. He’s immensely versatile and can plug a lot of holes.
Kevin Stallings again ripped his players, saying “[t]hey didn’t play hard enough to get tired in the second half.”
The fate of Mark Gottfried continues to be discussed. As the N&O reports, Gottfried refuses to discuss his status before the UNC game.
- Roy Williams unsure if Isaiah Hicks will play against NC State
- Roy Williams, UNC never tire of beating NC State
- Defense has held NC State back all season
- Gottfried has brought NC State success, but without continuity – DeCock
- Wake Forest unable to recover against Clemson
- Another Long Lost Trip to Clemson
- Reed leads Clemson to 95-83 win over Wake Forest
- Clemson snaps skid with 95-83 win over Wake Forest
- Stephen Schramm: With season, program unraveling, Wolfpack tries to look forward
- Paul Zeise: An NCAA tournament bid for Pitt? Not that absurd
- Syracuse alum apologizes for remarks critical of Fab Melo after his death
- 'A game we should have had': Pitt deflated after loss to Virginia Tech
- Where does Syracuse basketball stand with 1 month to go until March Madness?
- Jim Boeheim on Tyler Roberson's late free throws: 'He's not going to make them'
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR | Drop us a line