Don’t get too excited, but Wake Forest won its fifth straight game after a terrible beginning to the season, beating Army 109-80.
Good news: after the cheap shot at the end of the Illinois game, Brandon Childress is back. He scored 17. Keyshawn Woods had 22 while big man Doral Moore shot 9-10 and had 20 points and 11 rebounds. It’s fair to say Danny Manning appears to have righted the ship, at least for now.
On Saturday, Louisville hosts Indiana, the UMKC Kangaroos hop by NC State, Colgate has its annual beatdown at Syracuse, Samford’s at Clemson, Mike Brey returns to his old stomping grounds at Delaware and West Virginny visits Pitt. Expect abuse.
Louisville has been on a bit of a skid lately so a win over Indiana would be timely. If nothing else, Archie Miller has his guys playing like Western Pennsylvanians - which is to say tough - and together. He’s doing a great job early on in Bloomington.
State should certainly beat UMKC - the ‘Roos are just 3-7 and like former State guard Miller, Kevin Keatts has done a nice job of laying down his program template. And if you haven't been paying attention, after a rocky year, Omer Yurtseven has been coming on fast.
Colgate has no chance of beating Syracuse. It’d take a great Colgate team and a bad Syracuse team and neither is in place. So chances of an upset are minimal.
Clemson too has scheduled an easy win in 2-7 Samford. There’s just no realistic chance for the Bulldogs to win unless Clemson allows it.
Pitt welcomes in West Virginia and that’s going to be a tough one to say the least. Pitt’s best chance? That West Virginia comes unprepared and Pitt comes sky high. Even then it won't be easy.
Finally, who says you can’t go home again? Mike Brey turned in a terrific job at Delaware, going 99-52 and making the Blue Hens a credible threat.
Notre Dame’s been off lately and may drop out of the Top 25 Monday but don’t expect them to let Brey down in this one. The Irish should win. If they do lose, then the bottom has fallen out.
Could somebody please tell Art Chansky that Gerald Henderson doesn’t weigh 260 pounds? Even as he rehabs after surgery?
- College basketball: Previewing ACC men's basketball conference play
- Pitt basketball team looking for an edge vs. No. 18 West Virginia
- No. 18 West Virginia, Pitt resume rivalry
- Syracuse basketball: Despite 7-1 start, Jim Boeheim optimistic
- Clark: FSU basketball off to a flying start
- Jim Boeheim optimistic Syracuse can improve a lot
- Louisville basketball needs an enforcer
- Clemson Basketball Preview vs. Samford
- Pitt mailbag: What's up with all these Kevin Stallings lineups?
- Chansky's Notebook: No, It Can't Be!
- Wake Forest pulls away late for fifth straight win
If you're going to shop Amazon for Christmas please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line