Aside from Duke’s comeback win over Florida, the only other ACC game Sunday night was also in Portland as UNC cratered against Michigan State in the finals of the Victory Bracket in the PK80 event.
The final score of 63-45 doesn’t begin to reflect how badly UNC played.
Here’s another measure: the Spartans had 24 turnovers...and still won by 18.
And here’s one more: UNC had the worst shooting night in the Roy Williams era and perhaps of any recorded game, hitting just 24.6%. Only Theo Pinson was remotely respectable, shooting 6-13, which kind of made him the Mississippi of the game as in thank god for Pinson...because the rest were dreadful.
Luke Maye? 3-13. Joel Berry? 2-11. Kenny Williams? 1-7.
Bill Walton summed it up by saying that UNC looked physically intimidated and that could explain the dozen or more missed layups and perhaps even shooting 5.6% from three point range.
Coach Roy Williams summed it up like this: “Well, it was about as bad an exhibition as I've ever seen.”
He was being kind and in a typical Williams move was much harsher on himself than his players. DBR readers will know to expect suicide jokes from Ol’ Roy this week.
UNC gets a few days to think about it before the ACC/Big Ten Challenge starts up.
Here are the days and pairings. Check ACC At A Glance for more particulars:
- Maryland at Syracuse
- Wisconsin at Virginia
- Northwestern at Georgia Tech
- Florida State at Rutgers
- Louisville at Purdue
- Illinois at Wake Forest
- Iowa at Virginia Tech
- Penn State at NC State
- Clemson at Ohio State
- Michigan at North Carolina
- Duke at Indiana
- Notre Dame at Michigan State
- Miami at Minnesota
- Boston College at Nebraska
On Monday we think Syracuse will have a tough time with Maryland because of youth and also because Tyus Battle hurt his back the other night. But Wisconsin will have to work hard to beat Virginia at Virginia.
- How Roy Williams reacted to one of the worst offensive games in UNC history
- UNC goes cold in 63-45 defeat against Michigan State
- Men's basketball looks sharp in NIT Tip-Off Tournament win
- No. 4 Michigan State Clamps Down Defensively, Hammers UNC 63 45
- No. 9 Michigan State routs No. 4 North Carolina 63-45
- U.Va., Wisconsin meet again in Big Ten-ACC Challenge
- Tyus Battle practices with Syracuse basketball after back issue last week
- Four things we've learned about the 5-0 Syracuse Orange
- Badgers men's basketball preview: Wisconsin vs. Virginia
- Five Things to Know: Wisconsin at Virginia
- Game Notes: UVA hosts Wisconsin in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Men's Basketball's Defense Falters at Providence
If you're going to shop on Cyber Monday at Amazon please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line