The Podcast gang (Sam, Jason, Donald) recap Duke Basketball's opening victories against Elon and Utah Valley, preview the big matchup against Michigan State and the game later in the week against Southern, discuss Coach K achieving 1000 wins at Duke and finish with RJ Barrett's commitment and Duke-Army football. They then hand out the first player of the week honors for the 2017-18 season and end with parting shots.
Links To Subscribe:
- 0:00 Dave Olverson sponsors this week’s podcast and tells people to consider moving back to Durham
- 0:27 Welcome and intros
- 1:45 We recap the season opener against Elon
- 2:25 Jason gets off by saying “Believe The Hype” on Bagley by discarding his inner Public Enemy
- 8:15 Donald gives his take by mentioning Grayson Allen is playing like a relaxed floor general
- 10:56 Donald mentions the only dark spot from the Elon game: Free Throws
- 11:35 Sam is thrilled about Trevon Duval’s emergence as a point guard
- 14:41 Donald jump starts the Utah Valley discussion by discussing the heavy minutes for the starters
- 18:48 Jason throws out two impressive stats about who scored and when they scored
- 20:27 Sam thinks the Utah Valley rotation is more in line with what we see the rest of the season
- 21:53 Jason thinks Bolden will feature more in the rotation once he’s well, but wants to see how we play P5 conference teams
- 23:15 Jason starts a discussion about big men and how they’re built to play a modern game as opposed to Okafor
- 28:27 Donald discusses Wendell Carter filling up the stat sheet
- 31:54 Dave Olverson invites everyone to move to Durham, which is revitalized and has many job opportunities. Contact him at DurhamDaveDBR@gmail.com. Thanks for sponsoring the podcast!
- 32:47 We preview Michigan State - Sam will be there, so look for him!
- 34:01 Donald talks about Miles Bridges, notes that Sparty is physical and plays with high intensity
- 38:12 Jason thinks Grayson Allen needs to have a great game on the perimeter for Duke to win. Also, who will guard Bridges?
- 42:05 Sam is excited to see how a young Duke team stacks up against an experienced Michigan State
- 43:30 Jason notes Michigan State is not a good perimeter shooting team, and notes they got two future lottery picks in Bridges and Jackson
- 45:50 Donald previews the Southern game…they’re not good. But look out for Jared Sam
- 48:00 Jason thinks Southern will be the worst team we play all season
- 50:01 Coach K earns his 1000th win at Duke - we discuss the milestone, the postgame ceremony and Coach K being the GOAT
- 57:03 RJ Barrett commits to Duke - BOOM!
- 1:02:08 We recap the Duke Football loss to Army - Sam was at West Point and recommends people attend a game at the 3 D-1 service academies
- 1:08:10 Players of the Week honors - Marvin Bagley the unanimous pick
- 1:10:38 Parting Shots - Donald gives quick love to The U (Turnover Chains) and shows a lot of love to his Detroit Pistons and their hot start to the season (Luke Kennard!)
- 1:12:03 Jason’s first parting shot says to take note of Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Virginia Tech pummeling folks
- 1:14:17 Jason’s second parting shot - pumpkin spice candy corn is in the stores. Jason doesn’t like pumpkin spice, but Jason loves candy corn. Sam and Donald berate Jason for being the monster he is.
- 1:17:00 Sam’s parting shot highlights Sean Obi appearing and scoring a couple baskets for Maryland last weekend
- 1:19:17 Good bye! Don’t forget to rate us on iTunes and email us at DBRPodcast@gmail.com
If you're going to shop Amazon for iPhone X or accessories please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line