Duke fell to Virginia Tech 24-3 in Blacksburg on a rainy Saturday night.
It was the kind of night, according to the Roanoke paper, where at the end the crowd had mostly fled and the cheerleaders, the guys anyway, slid across the soaked field. Some of the players joined in as well.
It wasn’t nearly as much for Duke although the Blue Devils hung in for most of the first half.
At the end of the half though, with Duke down just 10-0, Shaun Wilson drew a stupid penalty: he shoved a Virginia Tech player. That stopped the clock and forced Duke to punt from the three. Virginia Tech got another touchdown and with the weather, and Duke’s erratic offense and Duke down 17-3, it was pretty much over.
Virginia Tech ended up tacking on another touchdown for what it was worth.
Duke, which started 4-0, has now lost five straight and perhaps Wilson was registering some frustration. It’d only be human.
Some things you can control and some you can’t. With the offense already struggling and the rain making things that much more difficult, it was just a bad night for Duke.
The only thing to say after a game like this is the classic phase from Duke basketball: next play.
- Duke Falls to Virginia Tech, 24-3
- Duke football's offense remains dormant in soggy loss at No. 13 Virginia Tech
- Frustration factored in Duke’s latest loss. But Daniel Jones remains confident a bowl trip is coming.
- Virginia Tech squashes Duke to extend Blue Devils’ losing streak to five
- McFarling: Virginia Tech enjoys a nice walk in the rain before Hurricane week arrives
- A post-game wrap: Virginia Tech 24, Duke 3
- 5 takeaways from Virginia Tech's victory over Duke
- Virginia Tech prioritizes the football in victory over Duke
- Virginia Tech dispatches Duke, then turns its attention to showdown with Miami