Here’s the latest from the DBR Podcast Crew, a quick reaction to the NCAA’s decision in the UNC case.
- 20:30 Sam says hi and Donald explains why this is college basketball Festivus
- 2:30 Jason warns the listeners… there will be cussing during this podcast! Podcast rated PG 13
- 3:15 The NCAA chooses not to punish UNC… we are flummoxed. Donald begins by questioning the legitimacy of the NCAA.
- 7:15 Jason explains academic fraud vs. improper benefits and he is clearly frustrated.
- 11:15 Jason looks at the NCAA’s Core Values and says they simply do not exist any more. He also links this whole thing to UConn’s academic troubles a few years ago.
- 13:50 Donald talks to Carolina fans. How do they feel about the stain on their school?
- 16:05 Jason talks about UNC’s key strategic move; denying there was any academic fraud.
- 17:20 Sam talks about SACS, UNC’s academic reputation, and then utters these words, “UNC committed the perfect crime.”
- 22:50 Donald says the NCAA has created the road map for cheating and now every school will follow it. “The term student-athlete died today.”
- 24:30 We look at how the media is reacting to all this, including a discussion of Jay Bilas.
- 29:30 Donald has something to say to the folks who say they are done with college athletics.
- 32:05 Sam wonders if the NCAA can survive when one of it’s finest schools is allowed to get away with this.
- 34:25 Jason wraps up with a great post by Rocketeli on the boards that he thinks speaks to our frustration on this day. “Our institutes of higher learning have no business being in the professional sports business.”
- 37:55 A statement from ByrdCampbell about the UNC scandal.
- 38:40 Sam intros the next topic, the NCAA’s new commission to fix college basketball.
- 41:35 Jason says the committee is flawed because it does not include several key constituents… including the players. He also gives us a great analogy, comparing basketball to a BLT sandwich.
- 43:50 Donald says the committee will fail if it only looks at NCAA issues and does not address the NBA.
- 48:30 Sam points out what the committee will not do, which also dooms it to failure.
- 51:15 Jason says players know what they are worse. You can’t put that genie back in the bottle.
- 56:10 Sam knows there is no incentive for the big sports universities to change. They are making too much money to change.
- 1:00:40 Donald tries to leave us on a hopeful note as we again look at the relationship between the NCAA and the NBA
- 1:03:45 Parting Shots – Jason on a good guy, former Oregon St. football coach Gary Andersen
- 1:06:20 Parting Shots – Donald explains how to treat USA Soccer fans in the wake of the World Cup qualifying debacle.
- 1:08:30 Parting Shots – Sam on the frustration of the Nats fan, which gets us into all of our collective sports sadness.
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR
Check out our October '17 t-shirt! || Drop us a line