The dominant news of the ACC day, at least in the Triangle, is the death of Charles Shackleford.
Just 50, the former State forward was found dead in his Kinston home.
It’s a sad day for State and the ACC. Shackleford was a fun guy. Everyone enjoyed him when he was part of the Wolfpack. He was one of the great flakes (which we say in all kindness) in ACC history, in a pantheon with Art Heyman, Kenny Dennard, Bones McKinney and Bobby Cremins.
Like Lorenzo Charles, he died way too soon.
In Saturday’s ACC action, we’ll see if Notre Dame can follow up on their huge win over Florida State with another over Georgia Tech. Certainly Tech has an advantage with Ben Lammers inside and Josh Okogie is a reasonable candidate to guard Bonzi Colson at least part of the time.
Clemson and Pitt square off in the Cellar Dweller Bowl. Our guess is Clemson is the better team and they deserve a win. That team continues to play hard as the losses mount up. We have a ton of respect for the Tigers this season. They’re just caught behind a bunch of really good teams.
FSU travels to Syracuse and you know they’re going to be angry. It’ll be a tough game for the Orange and not just because they’re catching the ‘Noles after a loss. FSU has a very deep bench and Syracuse...well, Syracuse goes about eight deep and the bench is not very productive.
UNC and Miami play at Miami and given their youth and lack of inside power, we’d have to take the Tar Heels. UNC has won seven straight by the way.
Miami gets a small break as Theo Pinson won’t play.
On Sunday, State looks to build on the big Duke win with another over Louisville. And Louisville will be without Quentin Snyder (hip flexor) and Tony Hicks (broken metacarpal).
Of course Louisville has other things to worry about besides basketball.
- Former Wolfpack basketball star Charles Shackleford found dead
- How the UNC Tar Heels continue to remain unselfish
- ACC basketball power rankings: Let's get jumbled
- North Carolina basketball knows that upset feeling, but not lately
- Three to know: No. 9 North Carolina at Miami
- Former N.C. State basketball star Charles Shackleford dead at 50
- Georgia Tech's progress easy to see
- Clark: A real test for FSU basketball
- Leonard Hamilton might have his best FSU basketball team, but don’t tell him that just yet
If you're going to shop Amazon please start here and help DBR | Drop us a line