Links for this story are at the bottom
It's hard to put into words what this win means for Duke football: bowl-eligible for the second straight year, a winning season almost secured and a quality win over a quality opponent.
And it wasn't a fluke. Duke held Virginia Tech scoreless for nearly three quarters (the Hokies finally scored a touchdown with 11 seconds left in the third) and added a field goal shortly after.
And when Virginia Tech's defense really held Duke down, including a stretch in the fourth when the offense threatened to fall apart completely before regaining its equilibrium, Duke's defense stood up and carried the day.
The Hokies had a chance to tie on a field goal and missed. After that, Duke simply won the defensive battle. If you'd have asked 100 pundits before the game how Duke might win, we'd bet nine out of 10 would have said it's up to the offense.
Not this time.
This program is growing up, and it's a joy to watch it happen.
- Duke vs. Virginia Tech final score: Blue Devils stun Hokies, 13-10
- Virginia Tech football: Hokies’ offensive woes continue as Duke Blue Devils score upset
- Grading Virginia Tech's keys against Duke
- Duke upsets No. 16 Virginia Tech 13-10
- Duke upsets No. 16 Virginia Tech
- Duke upsets Virginia Tech
- Hokies tripped up by Blue Devils
- Duke stifles Thomas, upsets No. 14 Va. Tech
- Duke Knocks Off No. 16 Virginia Tech 13-10
- Box Score
- Duke football upsets Virginia Tech to become bowl eligible