The news of Frank Haith's move to Mizzou has been met with curiosity, a certain amount of disbelief and, in some quarters, downright hostility.Â among those whose opinion matters: Missouri Curator (trustee to the rest of us) David Wasinger, who has encouraged alums to express their opinions to the Curators before tonight's meeting.Â Normally approving a contract is pretty routine; in this case, it may be contentious.Â And since Haith has presumably resigned his Miami position, there may be no turning back.
Meanwhile, State's search has clearly zoomed in on VCU's Shaka Smart. ACCSports.com reports that he may have an answer today; if he says no, two more candidates have said they would say yes.Â So no matter who it is, State's search should end fairly soon (Update: Dave Glenn just posted that he's staying at VCU).
By the way, the Big 12 is having some serious turnover as well:Â Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are all going to have new coaches next season, and if Frank Martin to Miami is realistic, possibly four.
Here's the thing about Miami:Â Florida aside - and it's a tremendous recruiting territory - no one has really staked out the Caribbean.Â As a son of Cuban immigrants, Martin could do that.Â We assume he speaks Spanish which would help in places like Puerto Rico which could, alone,Â provide a quality freshman class every year.
Puerto Rico has a passion for basketball which rivals that of the Philippines, but they have much better talent.Â Logically, Miami should be the American power in the islands, and don't get us started on what might happen if they could recruit in Cuba.
- Bernie Bytes: 10 thoughts on Haith hire
- Frank Haith leaves Miami for Mizzou, so what's next, Donna Shalala?
- Frank Martin to Miami Rumors Already Flying
- Frank who? Frankly, no one knows
- Thoughts On Frank Haith To Missouri
- Not curators' job to hire coach, Goode says
- Search for Coach on as Haith Leaves Canes
- Mizzou's New Basketball Coach: Who The Hell?
- Has Haith made waste? Curator has questions
- Miami Hurricanes must call Shaka Smart (and Larry Brown, too)
- Haith's surprise exit from Miami further shakes up ACC coaching ranks
- Missouri Got the Wrong Man in Miami Coach Haith
- No hoops press conference today at Mizzou