In Louisville Wednesday, Rick Pitino made his mea culpa for the bizarre affair with Karen Sypher and said that he hopes to stay at Louisville for "as long as they'll have me."
Quite a comedown, really. Comic note: who was the genius who decided to hold his press conference at the Yum! Center? That's an unfortunate choice, all things considered.
It's really difficult to say how this will end. There is a fair amount of pressure to fire him from various quarters, but a fair amount of support as well. And as you might expect, Kentucky fans continue to have fun at his expense.
Interestingly enough, Pitino, then with the Celtics, fired former assistant Winston Bennett for a similar issue, although in fairness, Bennett had a compulsion as opposed to what Pitino characterizes as an indiscretion.
- Pitino sorry for hurting his family
- Pitino apologizes, says he won't resign
- Key provisions of Rick Pitino's contract
- Analysts: Pitino's recruiting ability damaged, not ruined
- Rick Pitino Scandal
- Pitino sex scandal bound to affect recruiting
- Full statements from Pitino, Louisville president and athletics ...