Has the Duke Curse struck again? West Virginia has suspended point guard Joe Mazzulla after a domestic violence charge after an incident in a Morgantown bar.
This follows: Bob Huggins tripping at the airport and ending up at the hospital.
In 2008. Also in 2008, Mazzulla and teammate Cameron Thoroughman were arrested for underage drinking and fighting the cops.
In 2009, Mazzulla out for the season with a shoulder injury and West Virginia lost in the first round.
- 2009 - West Virginia's Joe Mazzulla suspended indefinitely after being arrested on assault charges.
- 2009 - UConn under investigation for recruiting irregularities.
- 2008 - Indiana program decimated by Kelvin Sampson, who is forced to resign after the NCAA hits program with three-year probation. All but one player leave in the aftermath.
- 2008 - All-time low tied, as the Wildcats lose at home to VMI.
- 2008 - Bob Huggins trips at the airport and ends up at the hospital.
- 2008 - West Virginiaâs Joe Mazzulla and Cameron Thoroughman arrested for underage drinking and fighting the cops - at a Pirates game no less.
- 2007 - Indiana receives scrutiny for Kelvin Sampson's illegal phone calls to recruits.
- 2007 - VCU - Florida A.D. was in the air to hire Anthony Grant after Billy Donovanâs bizarre NBA career lasted a weekend or so. After he decided to bolt back to Gainesville, the A.D. flew straight back and never offered Grant the job.
- 2007 - Tubby Smith leaves Kentucky under pressure. In the fall, Kentucky loses at home to Gardner- Webb in an all-time low for the program.
- 2006 - LSU defeats Duke. 2008 - John Brady fired in mid-season.
- 2005 - Indiana finishes 15-14. Mike Davis retained, but told he must win more. The entire state of Indiana misses the tournament.
- 2005 - UConn assistant coach Clyde Vaughan arrested for solicitation. Antonio Kellogg arrested for marijuana, Charlie Villanueva leaves after two years for the NBA. UConn lost to N.C. State in the tournament after Denham Brown said they âwere used to losingâ and wouldnât be able to handle being down to UConn.
- 2005 - Kansas loses to Bucknell in the first round. Bucknell had a total of five scholarship players on the roster.
- 2005/2006 - UConnâs Marcus Williams and A.J. Price busted for trying to sell hot laptops. The Huskies, overwhelming favorites for the title, go on to lose to George Mason.
- 2004 - Indianaâs loses forwards Patrick Ewing, Jr., and Sean Kline, to injuries. George Leach has struggled with injuries as well. Indiana finishes at 14-15.
- 2004- Ben Gordon leaves UConn for NBA
- 2003 - Kansas loses head coach Roy Williams to UNC
- 2003 - Former UConn star Khalid El-Amin loses case, ordered to pay $54,000 for beating man.
- 2002 - Indiana loses Jared Jeffries to early entry.
- 2001 - Duke wins title.
- 2001 - UConn flames out in regular season, canât even make the NCAA field.
- 2000/2001, Florida: lost Mike Miller and Donnell Harvey to the NBA. Had a series of injuries the following season. Knocked out early in tournament two years in a row. Teddy Dupay implicated in gambling scandal, kicked off team.
- 1999, UConn: El-Amin arrested for marijuana possession, , Hamilton left, two car/image problems. Doug Wrenn arrested for alleged shoplifting before the season, suspended twice. El-Amin suffers a critical injury in tournament, team loses to Tennessee in NCAAs. Wrenn kicked off team after a post-season arrest.
- 1998, Kentucky: Lost players to hardship in â98, draft, transfers at the end of â99, a rash of serious auto related problems. In 2001-02, chemistry problems and Jason Parker injury doomed the âCats. .
- 1997, Providence: Program peaked, fell, lost coach to UVa. Bonus Curse: Pete Gillen fired after a dismal run at Virginia
- 1996, Eastern Michigan: Lost coach (to Cal), faded from view, not heard from since. Bonus Curse: Ben Braun fired at Cal in 2008.