The Associated Press story from Richmond, where Wake Forest beat the homestanding Spiders, said the 47-40 win marked âthe fewest points in a victory for Wake Forest in modern school history.â Wakeâs media notes said it had âset a modern-day school record,â topping a 48-point output in a triumph over Maryland in 1982.
Weâre intrigued. What is modern history and who defines it? When referring to scoring, would you define modern history as the period since the advent of the 35-second shot clock in 1993-94? Is it since the first installation of the shot clock, albeit a 45-second version, in 1985-86? Is âmodernâ based on jersey styles, expansion of the NCAA Tournament field, the arrival of integrated teams?
We tend to define âmodern history,â at least for the ACC, as the return to eight teams in 1979-80 with the addition of Georgia Tech. Maybe thatâs the Wake Forest definition. At any rate, the Demon Deaconsâ 47-point output against Richmond was low but hardly lowest, in victory or defeat, among ACC members in recent ACC history.
Incidentally, Wake has lost six games in the past decade alone while scoring 47 or fewer points.
HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?
Fewest Points Scored by ACC Teams In Wins, Losses Since 1980 Season
Fewest Points By Modern ACC Team In Win
- 38-27 Clemson vs. UNC-Asheville, 1980
- 39-36 Virginia vs. N.C. State, 1982
- 40-28 N.C. State vs. Maryland, 1982
- 40-36 Maryland vs. Duke, 1982
- 40-38 Georgia Tech vs. Georgia, 1980
- 44-41 N.C. State vs. Penn State, 1997
- 44-33 N.C. State vs. St. Peterâs, 1982
- 44-41 N.C. State vs. Wake Forest, 1980
- 45-44 North Carolina vs. N.C. State, 1997
- 45-44 N.C. State vs. Wake Forest, 1986
- 45-41 N.C. State vs. Michigan State, 1983
- 45-40 Virginia vs. Maryland, 1982
- 45-40 Virginia vs. N.C. State, 1982
- 45-43 Georgia Tech vs. Maryland, 1982
- 45-42 Georgia Tech vs. University of the South, 1981
- 47-40 Wake Forest vs. Richmond, 2006
- 47-42 Florida State vs. Chicago State, 2004
- 47-43 North Carolina vs. Louisiana State, 1983
- 47-45 North Carolina vs. Virginia, 1982
- 47-46 Duke vs. Georgia Tech, 1982
- 47-42 N.C. State vs. St. Peterâs, 1981
Fewest Points By ACC Team In Modern Loss
- 28-40 Maryland vs. N.C. State, 1982
- 35-53 Clemson vs. Oregon State, 2000
- 36-38 N.C. State vs. Princeton, 1998
- 36-77 Virginia vs. Connecticut, 1994
- 36-39 N.C. State vs. Virginia, 1982
- 36-40 Duke vs. Maryland, 1982
- 37-61 Clemson vs. Virginia, 1995
- 37-40 Georgia Tech vs. Boston College, 1980
- 37-55 Georgia Tech vs. Virginia, 1980
- 38-52 Maryland vs. N.C. State, 1982
- 38-53 Georgia Tech vs. Wake Forest, 1982
- 38-55 Georgia Tech vs. Georgia, 1981
- 39-80 Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky, 1999
Note: Florida State, which joined the ACC in 1991-92, lists a 2-0 win that season, derived from a forfeit by Florida A&M.
All of Barry Jacobs' charts published on DBR are property of and copyrighted by Barry Jacobs and cannot be reprinted or reproduced without his express written permission.