The Duke Curse is beginning to kick in at UConn,
with Ben Gordon leaving early for the NBA. Okafor is next, but he has
graduated, so it's not really early in his case.
First noticed at the 1991 Final Four by Julio and his brother the big shot
scientist, The Curse has been relentless, and we always ask teams who could beat
Duke: is really it worth it? You laugh now, but consider the evidence:
- 1984, Washington. The next year they played in Durham and were so riddled
with injuries that Detlelf Schrempf had to play point guard. A long decline
ensued and their German connection dried up.
- 1985, Boston College, lost coach Gary Williams soon thereafter to Ohio
State. Program revived long enough to beat UNC, then self-destructed and
lost Jim O' Brien to...Ohio State.
- 1986, Louisville: A long, slow descent followed, complete with probation.
Crum finally run off.
- 1987, Indiana: A painful down period until 1992 Final Four (where they
lost to.....Duke). Controversial coach Bob Knight forced out in 2001 (see
- 1988, Kansas: Probation, lost coach.
- 1989, Seton Hall: slow decline ensued, finally arrested by Tommy Amaker,
who almost got them to the Elite Eight
- 1990, Vegas. Lost rematch, lost coach, lost most prestige, got Rollie
- 1991 - Duke wins title.
- 1992 - Duke wins title.
- 1993, Cal. Probation, lost coach, big scandal, big stinking mess.
- 1994, Arkansas: a small probation, faded for several years, Nolan
Richardson fired in bizarre sequence of events.
- 1995 n/a
- 1996, Eastern Michigan: Lost coach (to Cal), faded from view, not heard
- 1997, Providence: Program peaked, fell, lost coach to UVa
- 1998, Kentucky: Lost players to hardship in '98, draft, transfers at the
end of '99, a rash of serious auto related problems. In 2001-02, chemistry
problems and Jason Parker injury doomed the 'Cats. .
- 1999, UConn: El-Amin arrested for marijuana possession, , Hamilton left,
two car/image problems. Doug Wrenn arrested for alleged shoplifting before
the season, suspended twice. El-Amin suffers a critical injury in
tournament, team loses to Tennessee in NCAAs. Wrenn kicked off team after a
- 2000/2001, Florida: lost Mike Miller and Donnell Harvey to the NBA. Had a
series of injuries the following season. Knocked out early in tournament two
years in a row. Teddy Dupay implicated in gambling scandal, kicked off team.
- 2001 - Duke wins title.
- 2001, UConn flames out in regular season, can't even make the NCAA field.
- 2002, Indiana loses Jared Jeffries to early entry.
- 2003 - Kansas loses head coach Roy Williams to UNC
- 2003 - Former UConn star Khalid El-Amin loses case, ordered to pay $54,000
for beating man.
- 2004 - Indiana's loses forwards Patrick Ewing, Jr., and Sean Kline, to
injuries. George Leach has struggled with injuries as well. Indiana
finishes at 14-15.
- 2004- Ben Gordon leaves UConn for NBA